first digital camera

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Roy Hinske, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roy Hinske

Roy Hinske New Member

I am looking for a new camera and have been thinking about going digital. i have an SLR and use it to shoot wildlife, weddings, family pictures, sports ( indoors for hockey) and other nature shots. I want to upgrade so that I have a camera i can begin to add longer lenses to as well as macro down the line. Is digital for me? What camera do you recommend?

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    $ 1,000 - $ 1500

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? It really doesn't matter

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    Not sure but want great shots as I sell some

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    I need a fairly long zoom for wildlife shots

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    Do you care for manual controls?
    I really like them on my SLR
    General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    Wildlife, Portraits, sports

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Yes

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    no

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    I was thinking about the Canon D30 or the Nikon D50 or D80

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    I would say yes to most

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Quikster

Quikster Well-Known Member

I have the Nikon D50 and love it. However most people who shoot weddings have the D200. The D80 seems to have most of the features of the D200 at a cheaper price, but since it just came out there isn't too much information on it yet as far as quality and dependability. If you get a Nikon you may want to get the 18-200mm VR lens its expensive but the VR is really nice.

As for the Cannons I only looked at the Rebel XT(350) since that was the one in my price range and was not that impressed with it.

3. Roy Hinske

Roy Hinske New Member

Thanks for the advice. What about the D70s in relation to the D50 or D80? What is the D50 missing that I would need to do a wedding for instance?

4. Quikster

Quikster Well-Known Member

That's another thing the D50, D70s, & D80 are not weather sealed either. One other thing that the D50 is missing that would be nice is an illuminated Top Display (where it shows you all your settings) and the front wheel for changing settings instead of just the thumb wheel.

5. Josh Dollins

Josh Dollins News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Canon Digital rebel (and XT) are great cameras and can be had for 600 at their cheapest. Everyone I know who has one (quite a few actually) love them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.