First Digital SLR camera, Canon EOS Rebel Xsi or Sony A350?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by adelialaurent, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adelialaurent

adelialaurent New Member

Looking for a good beginner camera. Right now im using an old 35mm Canon EOS, and love the way the Canon is set up. Obviously the sony has 14.2 mp compared to 12.2 for the Canon, but I dont think its all about the mp... or is it? ha. Looking for Pros, Cons, and personal experiences.
    Thanks!!:)[​IMG]:)

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

You're aware that both these cameras were released in 2008? So I assume you're interested in buying a used version of either of the two cameras. My recommendation is buy the one that is in the best condition. Or, better yet, purchase a new DSLR. The Sony a3000 and the Canon Rebel T3 are good intro-level DSLR's and are available online for less than $400, including a lens.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Assuming both cameras are in good condition, that old Canon was more popular than the old Sony. Simply easier to find accessories to fit the Canon, especially external flash (aka speedlight). The one plus for the A350 would be that its feel was less "plasticy" than the XSi. Links to more thoughts on these old cameras -

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/15244-upgrading-dslr.html

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/15407-i-need-2-cameras.html

Kelly Cook

4. piratemom

piratemom Active Member

I don't see your budget, but I have owned a Canon T3 and a T2i. I would recommend going with a good used T2i, T3i, T4i, etc. (anything T2i or higher with the i) over the T3 anyday if you can find one that is in good shape and within your budget.

The sensor in this line is the same as the sensor in the 60D so you will get better image quality and it may hold you until you are ready for the next upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.