1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

First DSLR

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by ayubie, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ayubie

ayubie New Member

I'm looking for a DSLR camera for a beginner around $350 or less, used or new.

I'm going to be using it for night photography in Seattle, football games, and in the snow for a trip I'm taking over winter break.
    Size is not a deciding factor for me, but something portable would be convenient.
    I would like at least standard zoom.

Image quality is pretty important to me, probably at least a 7/10.
    If I make any prints of my photos they will probably be postcard-sized.

I have my eye on the Nikon D3200 but I haven't found any spectacular deals yet.

What do I want?

Thank you!!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

You can probably find a Nikon D3100 or Canon 1100D, including lens, for $350, either new or used in very good condition. A Nikon D3200 is a better camera than the D3100 but is significantly more expensive. The D3100 should meet your needs as well as the D3200.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

4. ayubie

ayubie New Member

Thanks for the help so far! Any other brand suggestions? I heard Sony was actually a pretty good brand and I really want to keep the cost down. Or any other Canons, such as the rebel models?
    Where is a reliable place to buy used cameras?
    Thanks!

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Sony has been improving the quality of their DSLR's in recent years, but they're no cheaper than their Canon and Nikon counterparts.

The Canon 1100D is also known as the Rebel T3. It's the least expensive Canon DSLR currently available.

Cameta Camera, B&H Photo and KEH Camera are reliable stores and carry used DSLR's. Lots of used DSLR's are available on Ebay (whether the Ebay sellers are reliable is open to question).

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I'm also happy with the used camera I bought from Adorama.

Amazon has lots of "sellers" offering used cameras. At least with Amazon you can check the seller's profile for history.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.