Frustrated with Blurred Photos

Discussion in 'Photography' started by gracej, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracej

gracej New Member

I purchased the Canon SX110IS a couple months ago. I liked that it had auto/easy modes (I'm a beginner), as well as the versatility to grow with the manual modes. So far every picture I've taken with people in the shot come out blurry . . .even shots of my dogs sleeping are blurry! Most of the shots have been taken indoors without the flash as lighting was adequate. Even with the flash on, I still get blurry photos. I've done a little experimenting with the aperture/shutter priority but still can't get any clear focused shots of people. I even had my husband pose for me while I experimented to no avail. Shouldn't I be able to get clear people photos with the "auto/easy" mode? Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing wrong? I find myself pulling out my very old HP point and shoot which always takes clear focused pics - its very frustrating!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Do you have optical image stabilization set to on?

It would help if you uploaded some pictures or provided a link to them if they are on another site, so we could take a look for ourselves.

3. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

My first thought it to reset the camera to factory settings -check your instruction manual for how to do that. If that fails, then I would wonder if there is something wrong with the focus systems in the camera. As Andy said though, if you can show us some examples of what these photos look like, we can do a much better job of suggesting what could be wrong and how to fix it.

4. gracej

gracej New Member

I don't think there is a problem with the focus system as all my landscape/object shots come out beautiful. I just can't get focused shots of people. I could understand it being operator error if I were using the manual modes (I'm not quite there yet), however I just want focused people shots with camera in auto/easy mode!

Here are a few pics . . .notice object/landscape shots appear in focus, people shots are blurry.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34459688@N06/

5. CalebSchmerge

I am wondering if it isn't motion blur. The pictures aren't horrible, but it seems that things that don't move, such as objects on the table, are fine, but the people that can move have some trouble. This shouldn't be the case if you used flash. Do you have the image stabilization turned on? What kind of exposure times are you using when you don't have the flash turned on?

6. gracej

gracej New Member

The image stablizer function allows me 3 choices - continuous, shoot only and panning. I have it set to shoot only based on the descriptions in the user manual. I'm not selecting the exposure times as I'm shooting in Auto Mode (shouldn't the camera select shutter speed/aperture based on the lighting, etc. to produce the best quality pic?). I have an old HP that is a very basic point and shoot camera. It has no features, no manual settings. I turn it on, shoot people and get perfectly focused/processed photos . . lol. It baffles me. I only bought this new Canon because of the manual features which I hope to learn soon and the 10x zoom which I thought would be useful for my trip to Alaska this summer.

7. CalebSchmerge

Is Auto mode choosing no flash, or do you have the flash turned off? If you turn the flash on in Auto mode does that help at all?

8. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't see any obvious blur in any of the shots. I do see that some of the faces are too dark when the background is light, which tells me that the camera is focusing on the background instead of the people. One way to fix this is to make sure the camera is set to face detection. Face detection will ensure that the focus of the camera is on the faces, not the background, and that the faces are sharp and properly exposed.

9. gracej

gracej New Member

In Auto Mode, it will sometimes indicate flash is needed in which case I have to manually lift the flash on this camera. I do notice an improvement with focus when flash is used, however on most shots camera doesn't indicate a flash is required -unless I'm in a really low lit room.

The AF frame setting on camera was set to "center". I will change to "face detect" to see if this helps. Will I have to set back to "center" when I'm taking shots without people? I'm going to visit my 2 yr old niece today and will do some test shots on her inside the house and see what happens.

10. CalebSchmerge

I would think not. The camera should recognize that there aren't any faces and then revert to a different focus mode, but someone else will have to confirm that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.