Fuji S5000 - need help

Discussion in 'Fuji (Fujifilm)' started by Eljean, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eljean

Eljean Member

Re: Camera with zoom for sports

I'm new here... Looking for help "setting up" my Fuji S5000 to take indoor sports pics...volleyball and basketball. I have little to no photography education/experience. Please, if you will, give me some step-by-step instructions as to how to set up this camera to get some good shots.
    So far, I've played around with different settings and happen to get lucky. For the most part, I can take 400 shots and only 10-20 are really worth a darn.
    Help! My daughter's last basketball tournament is tomorrow and we start volleyball Monday.
    Thanks.

Eljean

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Hi Eljean -
    The truth of shooting indoor action shots is that you may not get a whole lot of keepers. But you can make some settings adjustments to maximize your chances. Here's what I'd recommend:

1. Set the camera to the "A" position on the mode dial. This is called aperture priority mode: it lets you tell the camera how wide to set the aperture, which controls how much light comes in through the lens. For shooting action, you want the aperture as open as possible, so that the shutter speed (which needs to be pretty fast to capture action) will be as fast as possible.

2. Using the up/down arrows, you should be select the aperture you desire. Somewhat confusingly, you'll want to select the lowest possible number here: should be 2.8 at the wide-angle end of the lens, or 3.2 if you're zoomed in.

3. Press the menu button. You should see a list of options; one of them will be ISO. This sets the sensitivity of the camera's sensor: the higher the number, the more sensitive the sensor, but the more sensitive the sensor, the grainier your images look. In this case, though, you'll need to use the highest sensitivity you can - ISO 400 for full-resolution images. If you're going to be making small prints only, you might even want to try the ISO 800 setting - this will give you less blur, potentially, but also a smaller, grainier image.

4. There should be a lever on the left-hand side of the camera to change the focus mode. You want this pointing toward "C", rather than "S" or "M."

Try out those settings and see if it works better for you.

dr

3. Eljean

Eljean Member

Thank you! I'll give it a shot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.