Fujifilm F200EXR

Discussion in 'Fuji (Fujifilm)' started by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KUNFUCHOPSTICKS

KUNFUCHOPSTICKS Member

Hello Guys, After a lot of research for the best point and shooter in terms of Image quality, I found that many people say it's the f200EXR that is best. Well, mine just arrived today, batts. are charging, I'll let you know how it goes!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I hope it lives up to your expectations. I'll be interested in your impressions.

3. KUNFUCHOPSTICKS

KUNFUCHOPSTICKS Member

OK I just took around 200 pics from landscape to portraits, indoor and outdoor. I'm no expert, I only know ISO settings and such bsaic photography talk.

Overall the quality is very good, or I should say CAN BE very good. When it is set on Auto the thing is hit or miss when used indoors. Sometimes it's crazy- I have it on EXR, which is the revolutionary pixel binning tech. featured in this camera, the thing chooses ISO 800 when 200 would be perfectly fine. With ISO 800, of course it's grainy, much less grainy than any other point and shoot, but the fact is, it doesn't need to be at ISO 800, yet the EXR Auto chooses that almost 100% when indoors.

Outdoors it's usually ISO 400. The Dynamic Range function is amazing. period. Well worth it just for this. The HIgh ISO/LowNoise function is what's cranking the thing to 800ISO when it doesn't need to be.
    Also the face detection on this is a joke, it's hard to get a face detected in first place. This is my first camera with face detection, I don't know how zoomed in you have to be to register, but for this camera, I have to be really doing a porait, I can' have people and background/scenery. It's damn impossible to get more than 1 face to detect before taking the shot. Not sure if this is an software issue or what.

Over all I'm happy. AUTO feature can be improved, hopefully with FW update.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Can't you reduce the ISO level by pressing the f button?

5. KUNFUCHOPSTICKS

KUNFUCHOPSTICKS Member

When the Dial is set to EXR, it must be further set it to 1 of 4:
    Res. Priority
    Dynamic Range
    High ISO/ Low Noise
    Auto. (of the 3 above).

Via f button: When you Have it in Res, Priority it lets you do ISO 100-800. Dynamic Range lets you do ISO Auto 400-1600, High ISO/Low Noise lets you do ISO 100-1600, but Auto doesn't let you choose ISO, it's only auto ISO all range.

They should have let user select ISO in Auto mode. High ISO/Low Noise lets you do ISO 100-1600 makes no since since the mode is named HIGH ISO, but it lets user do ISO 100...

I hope they get a fix for this, a lot of ppl complain of this issue, I can take very nice pics with ISO 200 and flash, but EXR Auto want's me to do ISO 800, lol it's a superb camera but it's still a point and shoot and it can't handle ISO 800 in most cases. All this applies to Indoors, when Outdoors it still chooses ridiculous ISO like ISO 400 on sunny day, but it's not noisy to so complains there.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  6. KUNFUCHOPSTICKS

KUNFUCHOPSTICKS Member

Also a mini review of outters:

At first the body seems to be metal, but after you knock on it you sense that it's high grade plastic made to look like metal, but when you set it down for awhile the body gets very cold, - it actually IS metal. The camera door I know for fact is plastic, and it does not get cold with surrounding temp.

Batt. door is flimsy without batt. inserted. Otherwise very solid camera.Seems like it will last, but it's no where near the built of my 2000 era camera Sony P51. This Fuji, to my surprise is made in China. Are most modern cameras made in China? Canons? Sonys?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.