Getting the Correct Lens for the Task

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by GreenRite, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenRite

GreenRite Member

I do presentations using a Dell 2400MP DLP Projector with the stock Projection Lens (F/2.4~2.7, f=28.0~33.6 mm with 1.2x manual zoom lens). Frequently the projector is required to be kept low causing the image that is projected onto the white screen to be considerably distorted.

To solve this problem, I plan to project pre-distorted images.

First I will project the image onto the screen at a fixed (low) height which will display the distorted image. Then I will sketch that distorted image right onto the surface of the white screen. Then I will remove the projector and use a camera positioned at the same height to take photographs of the distorted image. Because the distorted image is projected at the same low angle that the photo was taken, when that distorted photo is projected onto the screen, the image will be corrected.

I plan to take the photographs with a Canon EOS 60D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD. While the camera will be staged at the same height as the projector, the lens on the camera will also have some distortion effects. I plan to buy whatever camera lens will best match the projector lens and thus produce the least distorted image.

Any suggestions on what lens specifications would best suit the task?

Thanks,
    Green

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm not sure I understand what's going on but Canon lenses for DSLR's will produce very little distortion unless you shoot at an extremely wide angle (about 17mm or lower), in which case you may see some barrel distortion (bowing at either end). The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II is very good for portraits, especially in low light, and is quite inexpensive. It would be a good choice since you don't need a wide angle of view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.