Going to A few States and Need a Camera

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by BrehmBurroughs, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrehmBurroughs

BrehmBurroughs New Member

Im an amatuer photographer and I finally decided to get a digital camera now that Im going to Virginia Maryland Jersey and NY over summer because I dont want to take my SLR and be burdened. Im going to take pictures for my photo class mostly.
    Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. 450-500 not including memory cards and all that

Size* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? Something I can take on trips with me not too bulky like a DSLR, it doesn’t have to be pocket size

FeaturesHow many megapixels will suffice for you? 8-12

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    Id like to have ultra zoom no digital zoom but standard is just fine
    * How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10

Do you care for manual controls? yes

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Shots in my little ghetto room studio and outdoor shots of people and sights
    * Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? yes up to 16 by 11.5

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? I will probably use it for family pics but mainly for the stated above
    Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? rarely
    Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? no
    Are there particular models you already have in mind? DSC N1

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) I don’t really know I’m mainly more concerned with the things above if it has one of these bonuses great I just don’t know what the last two are and for wide angle I dont know if that would be a permanent wide angle on the camera so I’m not to sure about that.

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

If you really want an ultra-zoom, take a look at the Canon S2 IS, Sony DSC-H2, or Panasonic FZ30 (only the Panasonic has 8 megapixels though).

If you're willing to give up the long zoom, take a look at the Nikon Coolpix P3 and P4.

3. BrehmBurroughs

Thanks for the recomendations but those cameras are too big and the nikon doesnt have raw format which is a thing I forgot to mention in my FAQ sheet. I was looking at the powershot S80 and it seems perfect except that it doesnt have the raw format does anyone know if a hack has come out yet? I will still consider any other camera recomendations.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  4. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Ok. Smaller and with RAW...

The Fujifilm Finepix E900 does shoot in RAW - 9 MP, 4x zoom, 2 inch LCD. Here's our E900 review.

Also, several cameras in Olympus' SP line also shoot RAW:
    - Olympus SP-320 - 7.1MP, 3x zoom, 2.5 inch LCD
    - Olympus SP-350 - 8MP, 3x zoom, 2.5 inch LCD
    - Olympus SP-500 UZ - 6MP, 10x zoom, 2.5 inch LCD

One thing that I don't like about the Olympus cameras is that they only take xD Picture Cards for removable storage. The cards themselves are fine, but I have plenty of other media that I wish I could use (SD, CompactFlash). I'm also working on a review of the SP-320 right now and will probably finish it up within the next 3 weeks or so.

5. BrehmBurroughs

Thanks for the input I think Im gonna go with the s80 because it has almost everything I want except for the RAW but hopefully a hack will come out soon.

6. Fable

Fable Well-Known Member

Hack for RAW?
    I dont think they make hacks for cameras heh

Most people want RAW, then they get it but dont really use it anyway.

7. Quikster

Quikster Well-Known Member

actually there are sometimes hacks for cameras. Especially cannon.

They tend to lock out features in the firmware if you buy a cheaper camera then one of there more expensive ones.

This is how a lot of people turned Cannon Rebels into Cannon 20D as far as features go. Because unfourtunately Cannon would rather degrade features and make you spend more money than deliver the best camera that they can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.