Grainy photos

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by rledgister, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rledgister

rledgister New Member

I received a Kodak Easyshare CD93 camera, but some of the pics come out grainy and others come out clear. I thought it was a battery issue (when the battery is low the quality of the picture goes down) but some pics come out grainy even when the battery is fully charged. What can I do so I don't get grainy photos?

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

There is no Kodak model CD93. Do you mean C913?

Grainy photos have nothing to do with the strength of the battery. They occur when lighting is dim and the camera compensates by increasing the cameras ISO. The C913 has an ISO range of from 80 through 1000. When the camera's shooting in bright conditions it will use an ISO of 80 or 100 and the picture will look smooth. In dim conditions, when the camera uses an ISO of 400 or higher, you'll notice graininess. At an ISO of 1000, the picture will look terrible.

On some cameras you can set the ISO to a particular level. If you can do that with your camera, when you don't want to use your flash (or when the subject is too far away for the flash), turn the flash off and set the ISO to either 80, 100, 200 or 400, but no higher. The higher the ISO, the brighter the picture but also the grainier the picture.

If your camera does not let you set the ISO make sure that when you shoot in dim light you use your flash. If you turn off the flash the camera will bump up the ISO and you'll get graininess.

3. rledgister

rledgister New Member

Thanks for the info Andy. But yeah their is a cd93, but for some reason when you go on the kodak site you won't see it, but if you google cd93 it will come up. I will definitely keep that in mind the next time I am shooting at night.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

OK I see it. It appears to be identical to the C913.

5. CanonGlass3

CanonGlass3 Member

KODAK EASYSHARE C913/CD93 digital camera

Noise is caused by High ISO and the sensor trying to compensate for a low light condition

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.