Green photos in auto-mode?

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by janieb, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janieb

janieb New Member

I have an Olympus e-volt 500 and have generally been really happy with it in the few months that I've had it but occasionally my photos have an overall greeny-blue colour when shot in auto-mode. This has happened a few times in different lighting circumstances. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not truly SLR savvy so I'm not sure if I just have it in the wrong setting for the photos or if there's something wrong with my camera. I'd appreciate any help. thanks! Jane

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

What you're experiencing is almost certainly a white balance issue, where the automatic white balance setting doesn't know how to handle the lighting (fluorescent?) that you're shooting under. When this happens, try adjusting the white balance - should be a simple, top-level adjustment - from its default auto setting to the one that most closely matches your conditions: there will be several options to choose from, including at least one for fluorescent lighting. Fluorescent lighting causes the most problems, and incandescent is usually bad as well, with a brown tint.

Hope this helps,
    dr

3. janieb

janieb New Member

Hi David, thanks for your quick response. The photos that this has happened to have all been shot outdoors in different lighting conditions, from bright daylight to overcast. If I use some of the other pre-set modes they always compensate for it so I will try adjusting the white balance when it's in auto-mode and see if that does the trick.
    Thanks again.
    jb

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Sure thing. Let us know if this solves your issue.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.