HD Camera?

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by jshoe, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jshoe

jshoe New Member

I have a Kodak HD camera. Now I'm not sure what the difference between a regular camera and HD camera is, can you help me out? I understand in a TV and PC standpoint. Thanks

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Are you talking about picture cameras or video cameras?

I'm going to assume that you are talking about picture cameras, anyways the "HD" branding on modern digital camera's is just a gimmick considering that any camera with at least 2.3 megapixels or more is already higher than the 1920 X 1080 resolution on a 1080p display, in other words, pictures are of much higher definition than HD video, of course, they are two different mediums, one provides still pictures and the other provides moving images known as video.

3. jshoe

jshoe New Member

Yes, I am talking about a still camera with video capability. So whats all the hype about HD pictures? It sounds like there is no such thing, it's already there...

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

It's a marketing gimmick, anything with 2.3 megapixels or more is already high-definition.

Occasionally what these cameras with "HD" branded capability do is take a picture at the low resolution of 1920 x 1080 so they can be perfect displayed on a 1080p HD display.

Now if you are talking about HD video on still cameras then that means that they can record video at 720p which is HD video.

5. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

The Kodak Z1085, for instance, has the ability to record 720p, and as usapatriot said, this is true HD video performance. For still images, though, no such animal really exists.

While I agree that it's a little gimmicky, the other part of the HD still camera equation is often that these cameras are equipped or can be retrofitted (i.e. with a special dock) to output video in the correct standard for easy connection to an HDTV.

dr

6. kickace

kickace Member

here is 3 samples from HD recording from my Z1085 IS, which is currently the top kodak HD video camera model with 5x zoom, optical image stablization, 10.1MP. also have tried out the Panasonic TZ5 and the sound was horrible, this was 10x better on the z1085 over the TZ5

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=00VZWA90 - sample daylight 119mb

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XM6SO5Q7 - sample indoor light 106mb

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EBVMN3T8 - sample low light 104mb

the low light gets a bit noisy, but i still think that you won't get much better in terms of hd video for a point and shoot - and the sanyo hd700 and tx1 have smaller sensors, so they def wont be better, even the v1253 was better than both the hd700 and tx1, and this is even better

it doesn't seem as near as bad of overexposure as the v1253 and v1233 and z812is had, unless im not seeing it please correct me if wrong!

7. kickace

kickace Member

just recorded some of my dogs playing and then converted down to DVD format and then showed on my 50" plasma with an upconverting hdmi dvd player - all i can say is WOW

the dvd quality looks ALOT better on the 50" plasma over when i play it back on my computer in dvd quality. The tv makes it look the same as the high def version on the computer or better, it looks awesome

I know for sure that this is the winner for me as i have tried basically every other hd video point and shoot except the samsung nv24hd which came out april 15th but only has 3x zoom and much smaller sensor, while being $100 more.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.