help choosing a camera

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by comptr, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comptr

comptr Member

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. 200-300 300-400

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? regular pocket size

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 7 to 8

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? takeing normal pictures,

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? yes

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? bouth

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? bouth

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    cannon
    sony
    Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    cannon sd 800 IS
    sony dsc T100

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) image stabilization

I purchaed the cannon sd 800 IS but i am hving secound thoughts and wanting the sony dsc T100. is the sony dsc T100 better than the sd 800 IS. I went into the store to buy the powershot sd750 but walked out with the sd800 IS. is the sony dsc 100 better than the sd 800 IS. I am also looking for least ammount of sutterlag. L aos plan to purcahse a 4 gig memory card for either camera. so which one should i go with. I also have read reveiws on bouth cameras and the sony seems to be the better one. I orginally wanted to spend $300.00 but after seeing the sony i think i can spend a $100 more and thats it. ls a extended warrenty important?? :confused: :confused:

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Personally, I'd stick with the Canon that you already have. There is nothing that much more compelling about the Sony T100. It's still a very nice camera, but the SD800 IS would be my choice.

3. comptr

comptr Member

is the cannon faster than the sony and which one has the least sutter lag.

4. Gautam

Gautam Well-Known Member

CNET.com has a lot of statistics on shutter lag, time to first shot, continuous shooting...that's a great place to get an idea for how fast a camera you are looking at getting is compared to others in its class.

5. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Personally, I think they're actually pretty close to each other (in the absence of quantitative measurements).

6. comptr

comptr Member

well i plan on going back to the store where i bought the camera and try out the sony and the cannon and see whats better.

7. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

I tried out that Sony today in a store. Very nice little camera. I was bummed to see that it didn't have an optical viewfinder... otherwise I might have seriously considered it.

I'm still thinking about it, but I'll most likely end up with a Canon (either an SD750, 1000, 800 or wait for the new 850).

8. comptr

comptr Member

well when i go to the store i make shure to think about that thanks for all the help and will update on what happens when i go to the store. :cool:

9. Gautam

Gautam Well-Known Member

It's our pleasure. :)

10. comptr

comptr Member

well what do you guys think about nikon coolpix S50 ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.