Help getting good quality photo when enlarging

Discussion in 'Photography' started by fourzaniacs, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fourzaniacs

fourzaniacs New Member

I was hoping to find out how to get a better quality photo when I enlarge my photos. When I an elarge past 5x7 the photo get grainy. Can someone give me advise.
    thank you

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

This is usually tricky. Especially difficult if you are enlarging from film. For digital images there are software tools called noise reduction. This may be a standalone program, or a drop-in tool for an image editor. Semi-advanced editors will include tools for blurring, which can accomplish noise reduction too. If you like research, here are links to a couple of articles on this subject -

GoingManual.com

Photo Noise Reduction Tutorial

If the particular image has a lot of value for you, the easy way to do this is pay a professional photographer to make the enlargement for you. In the end many of us just get a better quality camera, for better quality images in the first place.

Kelly Cook

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

By grainy do you mean pixelated (so you can see the individual pixels)? If that's the case your digital camera is probably quite old and has only one or two megapixels. A camera with at least 3 megapixels should be able to produce a smooth 8 x 10 image without visible pixels. Today's digital cameras, with more than 10 megapixels, should be able to produce poster-sized images without pixelation.

4. gaelsteve01

gaelsteve01 New Member

If you want to enlarge the picture then you have to compromise with the quality of the image. But there are several software in the market that resolve your problem.

5. ge0rge

ge0rge Member

For ease of doing this, you may want to look at Genuine Fractals made by Award Winning Plug-Ins for Adobe Photoshop - onOne Software. It does a great job of resizing. Remember always shoot at max resolution on your camera. You may want to read up on dpi and ppi as they are often confused.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2011
  6. camera3d

camera3d Member

You may take a photo of the existing photo with a high resolution camera (higher than the first one) than enlarging it will not get it pixeled, but you will get a clear larger image of the current one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.