Help! Hard drive with all my photos died.

Discussion in 'Software' started by CasonT, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CasonT

CasonT New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I need some help... I did a big shoot last week of a wedding in Laguna Beach. I've already been paid half for the gig, and when I got back to my studio I emptied my cards to my external USB drive for editing (Western Digital Essential USB 3). I normally load them to the external, then save the finished products to my internal drive after Photoshoping them. Well, I looked at the external USB to verify the files were there then put away my gear.

I shot some pics of the eclipse on Sunday evening (Kodak ND4 Filtering), at which time I cleared off the images from the card knowing I'd already saved them to the USB drive. When I began trying to open my files on Monday to edit the wedding photos the drive would not mount! I called Western Digital and they told me to try different cables and power supply etc., but not much more than that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not only out the money for the wedding shoot, but I'm extremely embarassed to tell the newly weds their photos are gone...
    Thanks,

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. CasonT

CasonT New Member

Thanks for your suggestion Andy.

I called Western Digital tech support and they suggested that I contact one of their authorized data recovery partners. I called Data Mechanix, since they're in Irvine/Orange County (where I am) and they told me they specialize in data recovery and would give me a free evaluation. I did a quick search online and they've got good reviews. I sent it out to them today.

As for the SD Cards, there were 2 with the wedding data, one only had a few photos, which I still have. The other was re-formatted and I took enough photos to cover almost 3/4 of the memory. GRRR. I did get some really good pics of the eclipse though... (trying to keep positive).
    I haven't told my client about this problem yet. I should hear something from Data Mechanix by tomorrow evening they said so I'm not going to say anything 'til I know for sure what the deal is. I'll keep you informed.

I'm beside myself. This has revealed a broken link in my "backup" system. I was confident that I had a fool-proof system, first saving to my USB (data in 2 places, card and USB drive) then copy to C: while editing THEN delete from SD cards. Well, even though I verified that the images were on the USB Drive, I shouldn't have deleted them from the SD Card 'til I'd copied them over to the C: Drive.

DOH! Live and learn. Unfortunately, this may be a very expensive lesson, either refunding the client and having my reputation crash with my data, or of course the cost of data recovery pending the evaluation from the DM guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.