Help In Shooting Indoor Soccer Games

Discussion in 'Photography' started by b08rsa, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b08rsa

b08rsa Member

I have a friend that plays Professional Arena Soccer. I would like to get some shots. I use a Evolt 510 and a 70-300mm lens. All pics came out dark. I tried a slow shutter speed, but got nothing but blur. Is there any way to try and get a decent pic with this. I think the lens is a f4.0 ? (Stock lens) with camera. I tried bumping the ISO to 1600, but really did not help.
    I have a feeling people are going to say I need to go to a faster lens. What are some reccomendations? Don't want to drop alot of coin if needed?

Ron

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

Unfortunately, faster lens is the answer. Even in outdoor sports you usually need a faster lens, but indoor is worse. You need a fast shutter speed to stop the action, which requires a larger opening in the aperture (smaller number). Increasing the ISO will help, but as you said, it is apparently not enough. Aperture priority is your best bet, set the aperture to the smallest value (widest open) and see if that helps any.

3. b08rsa

b08rsa Member

Thanks for the input. Is there any type lense that you would look for as far as features go? Brand Name, Cost Factor. Please keep in mind that I have 3 kid's on the cost factor.

Thanks, Ron

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

There aren't a lot of good options for budget-friendly faster lenses with Olympus especially (though really with any system). I'd try what Caleb suggested first: set your aperture to its widest (smallest number) value using aperture priority mode and set the sensitivity to ISO 1600. Make sure your exposure compensation is zeroed (you can actually try to set it a stop or two under, which will give you more shutter speed, and then lighten the pictures accordingly in post process, though this will introduce more grain).

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.