Help - Kodak cameras

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by tlcdgilmore, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlcdgilmore

tlcdgilmore New Member

I need some help in buying a new camera. I have had a Kodak DX6490 for 2.5 years. I would like to upgrade my camera and probably want to stick with Kodak (I really like their gallery and easy share features).

I want to spend under $500.00. Image quality is essential. My current camera has 10x optical zoom and I am wondering if I would really miss the zoom capability if I did not have it. I definately need more than 4 mp (which I currently have). I use the camera for primarily pictures of my kids - both indoors and outdoors and of my son's sporting events. A portion of the shots are action ones. I generally print 5 by 7s, a few 8 by10s a year.

I would like redeye reduction. I am a novice but am willing to invest the time to learn to use more advanced features. The size of the camera is not of great importance (meaning I do not have to have a super compact model).

Any and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

If you're ok with the size, some of the standard sized ultra-zoom cameras are quite nice, like the Canon Powershot S3 IS or Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8. They also will be more flexible for different shooting conditions.

If you want something smaller, check out the Canon Powershot A710 IS. It isn't an ultra-zoom, but does have a 6x optical zoom.

3. tlcdgilmore

tlcdgilmore New Member

Thank you for those suggestions - I will look into them. Any thoughts on Kodak cameras?

4. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I'm sorry, I completely missed your sentence about wanting to stick with Kodak.

If you go with Kodak, stick to their higher-end new ones, like the just announced Z712 IS or the slightly older P712.

5. palmtastic

palmtastic New Member

If you want a Kodak now, I would recommend the Z612. It is a 6M digicam with 12x optical zoom, 5x digital zoom, and image stablizer. Hence one can take long tele-shots and the images are still turning out crisp and clear.

Its Auto mode can be used by any novice, while the Manual mode offers loads of adjusments one cares to make. There is also something in-between these modes, called Programmed mode, where partial adjustments are available and the camera will take care of the rest.

The Z612 also has a Scene mode for different occasions (e.g. firework, protrait, flower etc). A Sports mode is handy for taking pictures of your kid playing games.

If you are using the Kodak EasyShare software with your DX6490, the Z612 is also working fine with the software.

After the Z712 was announced, the price of the Z612 has come quite a bit. A new one can be had for $250 (inital price was $399). I bought a re-furblished one for $180. With the above features I mentioned, I cannot find another digicam to beat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.