Help me choose a camera

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by chucksj, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chucksj

chucksj New Member

I'm looking for a point and shoot camera that takes good sport/action shots. At least 10 MP and 5x zoom. Hopefully under $200 but am willing to go over slightly.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Taking good sports/action shots usually requires a long zoom lens and a shutter priority mode, to make sure your shutter speed is fast enough so your moving subjects don't look like a blur.

If I were you I'd look at the Canon SX130IS or the Fuji S1800/S2700/S2800.

3. chucksj

chucksj New Member

Thanks, but I heard that the Canon SX130IS actually wasn't that good for taking sports/action shots.

But I'll check out the Fuji.

Thanks again.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't know where you heard that but I strongly disagree. The SX130IS is fast focusing and has an excellent shutter priority mode - just set the shutter speed to a high number, such as 1/500 second, and you'll have no problem taking action shots.

You may be referring to the Canon's poor continuous shooting ability. I agree it's very slow in that respect and if continuous shooting is important to you, look to another camera - one with a CMOS sensor that can take 10 frames per second, such as the Nikon P100 (which is much more expensive than the SX130 IS).

Check out this website's review of the SX130 IS for more information on this very good compact ultrazoom.
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4498&review=canon+powershot+sx130

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.