Help Printing Decent Photos!

Discussion in 'Photo Printers' started by MyPhotosSuk, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyPhotosSuk

MyPhotosSuk New Member

Ok, I'm REALLY frustrated so bear with me. :)

I have just acquired a camera I really like. Fujifilm Finepix F70 EXR
    It takes pictures that look really good both on the camera LCD and my monitor. But then I print them and they are really awful. Indoor pictures are very dark. Some have a blue tint. My cream colored cat looks grey, the fuscha pillow on my couch looks almost black, faces are not natural colors....

I am not doing any editing so it's not a case me editing them incorrectly on a poorly calibrated monitor. I am not a professional and am not expecting professional quality. Just decent 4x6 snapshots that look like the picture I took! I thought digital was supposed to produce better shots the 35mm, these dont even come close to the point and shoot 35mm photos I used to have developed at costco. :-(

I have been told to calibrate my monitor, thereby making my good pictures look too dark and then "fix" them with editing sortware to bring them back up the the original quality, and THEN print them. Are you kidding me??!!? Is this really my only option?

The two printers I'm using are HP D7260 an Canon Selphy CP780.

ANY help would be greatly GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

If the photos look good on your camera's LCD and computer monitor, the problem is with your printers and not the camera or monitor.

I'm surprised at your printing results as the Canon Selphy CP780 is supposed to be a pretty good photo printer. The Canon has some editing features to help improve your photos. Have you tried them out?

3. MyPhotosSuk

MyPhotosSuk New Member

I have.

The "optimize image" seems to be all automated and doesn't seem to help. Actually I'm not quite sure what it does. I can't tell that anything is different whether it's set to on or off.

The "my colors" improves on things a little when set to "neutral" or "positivefilm" rather than vivid. But I can only tell when I hold the photos side by side. It's not much help.

It's worth noting that photos taken outdoors in bright sunshine do come out pretty decent. But anything indoors or with shadows is really quite bad.

If I want to take the time to edit things, I can wash out a photo in a simple editing program (brightness set to +25 to +30) to get a photo that prints on my HP printer close to what was in the camera. It just seems so silly to go through all the guessing and still not quite get the picture I took.

Thanks. :-(

4. ge0rge

ge0rge Member

Wow, kinda shocked at the answers given thus far. If they look good on the camera and monitor they can easily print out looking horrible. You need a few things in line first. You need to setup your photo software to match all your profiles. This meaning your printer profile / paper profile / color display profile. Once you get these in line, you should be alot better off. If you give me more specifics on paper type, printer type/model, and software you are using I can walk you through it perhaps. You may not have a colorimeter to profile your display but sometimes you can get by without it.

I have a colorimeter, and a sweet printer that was not cheap, and until I got all my "ducks in a row", they printed way dark or washed out, even though on screen they looked spectacular. Then I got serious and learned a few things about color printing and proper profiling, then it all changed.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.