Help! Zoom stuck on 510UZ

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by Clare, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clare

Clare Member

I just dropped my camera as I was doing some shots for ebay--it only dropped about three feet, if that, and onto a rug, but I'm getting "zoom error" message and the zoom is stuck. I've tried turning off and turning on and trying to move the zoom with the lever, but it doesn't sound good and the zoom doesn't move, and I don't want to try pushing it in or doing possible damage. Any advice on something I can safely try at home? Thanks.

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Clare,
    I don't know of any universal procedure for "unsticking" a stuck zoom, as some of this varies depending on how the lens is constructed. I would recommend trying to find a local shop that does camera repairs to take a look; if something is simply binding in the mechanism, it may be an easy fix, but a "home diagnosis" is tricky.

dr

3. Clare

Clare Member

Thanks, David. That's my plan--I don't like the way the motor sounds, so I decided against slapping it upside the haid and find a pro--

4. Joe

Joe Member

Hi Clare,

Just thought I check with you if you had a chance to check into the repair and how much it would cost. I have an Olympus D40m which has the same problem. I had yet to take it to a shop because I figure the cost is high to justify just buying a new one. But if it can be fixed easily, maybe it's worth it, but i think if it cost more than $50-60, it's better off buying a new one like Canon SD-1000 which is about $170 now.

Thanks,
    Joe

5. Clare

Clare Member

Hi, Joe,
    A local camera shop tells me that the part that makes the zoom work is tiny and can break VERY easily. They estimated $160 for repair. I'm with you. I figured it's WAY too much, though I may send the camera back to olympus and see what happens. It's still under warranty.
    Clare

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.