Here's what I need...

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by UXEvangelist, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UXEvangelist

UXEvangelist New Member

Hello! I just stumbled across this forum while searching for a new digital camera, so I figured I would make use of this section and see what you all might recommend. =)

Basically, I love creating wallpapers. I like taking close-up pictures of just about everything. The type of detail I would love to achieve is something like a blade of grass with a water droplet on it in which you can make out what's in the reflection of the water droplet. I'm not looking to make any huge prints or anything; just something that looks phenominal at around 1600x1200 or so.

Now, I've managed to get my Pentax Optio MX4 (4MP) to take some really good close-ups at 1/2" - 1" away but I'm looking for that over-the-top quality. If possible, I would like to find something that records HD video but that's not a necessity.

I also attend conferences and I would like something that takes good pictures of presentation screens in dim or dark lighting (you know, where the lights are off but what's up on a presentation screen is brightly-lit).

I've been pulling my hair out going through numerous 10MP and 12.1MP cameras on Amazon. That one bad review usually does it in for me if they mention something that I find important. So far, I've found the following camera to be what it appears I am looking for:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.a...45917&Type=PE&Category=Elec&Gad=0&dcaid=15889

I don't know how it does with extreme close-ups, though. Likewise, would 'P' mode suffice to bypass what causes the extremely long lag for the camera's processing of RAW pictures? In this conference I am attending soon, I will want to snap multiple shots very quickly and a 30-second lag after shooting 4-5 pictures isn't going to cut it, unfortunately.

Taking all of the aforementioned into consideration, along with the fact that I'm looking to keep it around $250.00, what do you all recommend? Thanks for your time!

-Stephen

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

RAW means a DSLR. Of course for this budget it will be a used DSLR. No point-and-shoot will come near the phenominal results you require.

Kelly Cook

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I agree with Kelly - there's no way you will be able to take multiple shots without any lag unless you spring for a DSLR.

I went to a function this weekend and took many indoor action shots with my Canon A720IS, in manual mode, without a flash. There was always a delay between shots. At the same time a professional photographer with a large Canon DSLR was taking shot after shot with seemingly no delay between shots. I pointed this out to my wife and told her that I was very envious (it's important to prepare your spouse in advance for the possibility that you might want to spend the family $ on a new camera).

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Good plan Andy! I shall take notes .... :D

5. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

This is quite possibly my favorite comment of the week. In part because with these sorts of things, I've been known to make the "it followed me home, can I keep it?" mistake.

dr

6. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I work in macro mode alot, although usually slightly less close that you are descrbing( I photograph watches semi-often). I'd say that a dSLR is the best bet, and that although everyone makes fun of me for it, live view is needed! If I were going to set something up from scratch for it, I'd get a used Canon 40d in a few weeks when people start selling them to buy 50Ds, and an EFS 60mm Macro. Sadly this will hit close to 900-1000 probably, but it should do everything you need:
    * 3.5fps, even in raw mode. It can do a burst of something like 20 at that speed, and then drops to about 1.5fps
    * fantastic macro lens (see some samples below)
    * live view, great for checking macro focus
    Either the 60mm macro, or a cheap 18-55 zoom will handle the conference work without even breaking a sweat, and the metering will handle the "bright screen in a dark room" quite well
    Aaron

Macro samples
    [​IMG]
    slightly larger field of view, for reference this is 40mm in diameter
    [​IMG]
    and here is what the really short DOF of the 60mm can do. The printing on the crystal of the watch is blurry, but the dial is sharp
    [​IMG]
    not useful, I just like the pic. It is a stack of the front and back macro of the same watch.
    [​IMG]

if you've gotten this far and want, I have many more watch photos here http://www.wiglaf.org/~aaronm/watches

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.