High Quality Dslr Backpack

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by dang, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dang

dang Member

I need a good high quality backpack that is water resistant and can do well on excursions outdoors (wildlife photography). I have read Ben's tenba bag review but I also want a good sizable pocket to carry non camera related items (water, snacks, etc.) I also want this pocket to be not just part of the main camera compartment, I want it seperate from the camera compartment. The closet thing I have come across is the Tamrac adventure backpacks. Basically, I want one backpack that will carry everything, I dont want to have to carry an extra bag with my non related camera items.

Is there anything else available?

Thanks

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Check to see if Lowepro has anything that matches what you're looking for - they're also known for high quality. I reviewed a waterproof model they have that was pretty impressive, although it would be overkill if you don't need a waterproof bag: http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=2658.

3. dang

dang Member

I think the model you reviewed is not big enough; I would have to get the 100 or 200, however, they are very expensive. Water resistance is pretty necessary because I will be hiking away from shelter and I couldnt bare the fact that my gear could get damaged. It doesnt have to be literally totally waterproof but it needs to be at least water resistant.

I have found this bag, the only problem is that it doesnt say anything about it being water resistant/waterproof:

http://www.mountainsmith.com/produc...tegoryId=13&subCategoryId=14&subCategory2Id=0

However, I guess I could just get their rain cover:

http://www.mountainsmith.com/produc...ategoryId=22&subCategoryId=0&subCategory2Id=0

What do you think?

Also, is there a dedicated camera bag page with all the reviews you have done?

Thanks

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

If at all possible, take your gear to a store that has a good selection and fit it into various bags/packs and try them on yourself for fit.

BTW, I have used a backpack rain cover that I picked up at REI on all my photo backpacks and my hiking/camping packs as well.

5. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I haven't actually reviewed a MountainSmith bag, but they look pretty good. We don't have a dedicated bag page - it's something on our list of features to add. If you search for "bag review" in the site search, you'll probably find all of the ones that I've done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.