Histogram

Discussion in 'Casio' started by Myron, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

On my new Casio EX-Z300, I see a histogram (like a graph) on my LCD screen all the time; it is very annoying and distracting. How can I get rid of it? You see the camera comes without a user manual. It comes with instructions on a CD-ROM and my PC cannot play these so I am screwed. Otherwise the camera is great and for only $150.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

If you press the display button, the histogram and other data on the screen will go away, leaving just the picture you want to shoot. To get the information back, press the display button again.

3. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

Actually it doesn't disappear but I found a way to get it to disapperar. If I press the "Best Shot" control it disappears. What is the purpose of the histogram anyway? I'm surprised it's put on point and shoot models.

4. Andy Stanton

It represents the exposure levels in different parts of your picture. If the curve is high on the right, the picture is overexposed, if high on the left it's underexposed.

It's a tool which some photographers find useful. I never use it myself.

5. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

Why would this histogram be included in both my Panasonic as well as my Casio point and shoot camera. Wouldn't it only be included in SLR models? It's not on my Canon Sureshot Elph camera. How would such a feature be useful?

6. Andy Stanton

I have it as an option in both my Panasonic FZ28 and Canon A720is. It should be in your Canon as well. Put the camera in playback mode and press the display button. You should see the histogram on the screen.

7. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

I am surprised that histograms appear on low-cost point and shoot models. I used to have the Canon AE-1 SLR (film) and it never had any histogram. Is that something new added to newer cameras?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.