I need a point-and-shoot with awesome macro?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by JenS, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I see Newegg is selling the pink version of the TX7 for $249 but you have to pay $299 or the other colors. I also see that for $299 you can buy the Sony HX5v, which has 10x optical zoom and all the low light ability of the TX7. It's not as sleek as the TX7 and it lacks the touch screen LCD but it has as many features as the TX7 plus a built-in GPS!

1 person likes this.
  2. JenS

JenS Member

Thanks Andy.

Here is my current camera: Fuji Finepix F40fd.

It does have a manual mode, but I don't really know how to use it. How does it compare to the TX7 and HX5v? I realize the technology on these newer cameras will be better, but if I can make the macro shots come out how I want on this camera then I really don't need to buy a new one right now, especially just for web shots.

ETA: My husband has a Kodak EasyShare Z1275 that I can use, too, if this one is any better. I think my Fuji does better with macro though.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  3. Andy Stanton

You should be able to take excellent macros with the F40fd. In its time it was considered the best point and shoot camera for low light pictures. Here are some macro shots folks have taken with the F40fd:

f40fd macro - Flickr: Search

4. JenS

JenS Member

Any tips on how to make it take those awesome macro shots?

5. Andy Stanton

The camera does not have optical image stabilization. If you're having a problem getting sharp images, mount the camera on a tripod.

6. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Active Member

I think the pentax w90 has led lights built in around the lens which might be nice addition for macro work. this camera's real claim to fame is that it's waterproof/dustproof and tolerates cold well.
    I have a pentax W30 predecessor and it can focus on objects as close a 1 cm away.
    This one may be worth a look for you.

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I have the Fuji F45fd, which is actually identical to the F40fd. Just a special label for certain retail chains (I got mine from Ritz). The "Manual" mode on the F40/45fd is not a true manual mode, really adjustable Auto mode instead. The main difference between Auto and Manual on the F40/45fd is that in Manual mode you get to set the ISO.

In contrast the Sony HX5V has a true Manual mode. Though aperture settings are limited to just a couple of steps.

The F40/45fd is a nice package, but doesn't really provide for any enhancements. About all you can do for it for macro work is use a nice tripod and tent. Which applies to virtually all compact cameras.

In my view the Sony HX5V is better suited for macro than the F40/45fd.

Kelly Cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.