i:robe IR-500 introduction

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by Ben Stafford, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Olympus Japan has announced the release of the i:robe IR-500 camera. The i:robe lineup also includes the S-HD100 hard disk storage device and the P-S100 digital photo printer.

The 4 megapixel camera sports a 2.5 inch LCD that can rotate 360 degrees and a 2.8x optical zoom. It also supports "Dock & Done" functionality allowing easy connection to the 40 GB external S-HD-00 hard drive and the postcard-sized P-S100 digital printer.

I'm not sure about availability in the US, but according to Photography Blog , the camera is priced at $499 in the US. (The hard drive is $299.99 and the printer is $199.99).

Ben

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

We saw companies like HP and Kodak at the PMA start to offer bundles like this...a one stop photo needs shop for consumers. I think it will be a popular approach going forward.

3. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

But I don't see this a being popular with an everyday user. I see it being popular as a sales tools. I think it would be great for sales people who want to leave a picture of a customized product with a prospective customer (like a car dealer taking a picture of you test driving the latest sports car).

As a home user, I don't have a need to carry a printer with me (or a hard drive). The removeable storage is cheap enough and has plenty of capacity. I'd much rather use a printer I already own at home and the hard drive on my desktop machine.

Ben

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

You're probably right. I just think of the grandparent walking into Best Buy saying I want to take and print pictures. A box with all the goods might be an easy sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.