I'm ready for more megapixels!

Discussion in 'Photography' started by bTaryag, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

Camera manufacturers keep on upping the ante with how many MP their cameras have, and for a while I believed that it was silly, who cares if it has 10 or 12.

But lately I have decided that I could use the extra MP.

For one, it is invaluable when cropping and making big prints. Using my Canon S5, I get 2448 x 3264 resolution, which seems like a lot. But lately I decided to print out some 8x10 prints. I like prints done at 300 dpi. So that leaves me with almost no space to crop, because if I go under 2400 x 3000 I will get a reduction in image quality.

Also, I just sent away for a 2000 piece 28 x 35 inch puzzle. They print at 150 dpi. Even without doing any cropping I don't have enough resolution the get the best quality.

Ok, I understand that more MP on the same size sensor can reduce IQ, and I don't want that. But once they solve that I want a 20 mp shooter or more.

With 4 gig sd cards at just a few dollars, and budget laptops coming with 250 gb hard disks, there is no reason not to.

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

A found that with a ten megapixel camera you can do some pretty significant cropping and still be able to print 8X10's or even larger.

Right now on the market there are a few really good up sizing software programs/plugins, one well known program is called Genuine Fractals.

3. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

I have cropped to 1/9th of a full frame from my 6 MP D70 and printed an 8x10 that was perfectly clear. I don't see the dire need for more MP. Even for a larger print I don't mind cropping. Keep in mind that as you print larger you need less DPI because people will view the print from farther away.

4. Pupator

Pupator Member

Yeah, the megapixel race is HIGHLY overrated.

First, I'd suggest that there's no need for you to print at 300dpi. Most of the absolute best commercial printers are at 250 and for an 8x10 at home 200 is fine. (For very large prints you can go down to 150).

Second, while the extra pixels can be useful for cropping they can make you lazy. You need to get better at composition so you aren't having to crop so much - that's a very rewarding skill to master though it takes time and effort.

Finally, programs like Genuine Fractals, and other upsizing software plug-ins, are amazing. I've printed 20x30 from 3MP photos before with stunning results. I routinely print 24x36 from my 6MP without issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.