Image Enhancement Before Printing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amy Seol, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy Seol

Amy Seol Member

Hi,

I am planning to print images on canvas using 12 colour Printer. I am facing problem with enhancing images for my clients. Adobe Photoshop need lot of patience and time.

I will be a great help if you can guide me with tools which can help enhance the images quickly.

I have heard of i2e Image enhancer(not used though) but I guess the company is not selling the software anymore.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    Amy

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Photoshop Elements is the most popular image enhancer and it's supposed to be easy to use. I don't have any personal experience with it though it's supposed be very good for its target audience - photographers who want to edit their images but don't need the advanced features of Photoshop.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I use Lightroom instead of Photoshop, but many of the tools are the same. With LR you can save up a collection of simple image adjustments into a "preset", I'm pretty sure PS has this feature as well. I have found that the ideal adjustments for display on my monitor are different than those for my print service (humble Walgreens). So my workflow goes like this - 1) Make all the adjustments to the RAW image for the best monitor viewing. 2) Export that "monitor" version of the image to a 16-bit PSD file. 3) Apply the custom presets I have created for arriving at the best image for the print. 4) Export that to a JPG on a CF card to hand off to Walgreens. With the tricky add-on step 5) of diving into the Walgreens kiosk to set each print to Restore Original, which bypasses the usual auto correction done by Walgreens. Of course this final step will vary with different print services.

Which admittedly needs a WHOLE lot of patience and time the first few times around. There may well be "actions" for LR/PS that bundle some of these steps for you, I have not researched that yet. With time I am building up my own collection of presets to streamline at least that part of my workflow.

Elements is easy to use for easy adjustments, but does not shape those adjustments into the broader "enhancements". You have to go through more steps than with a PS enhancement action. The BIG drawback to Elements is that it does not provide for storing your own adjustment presets. Instead you have to start from scratch with each image (OUCH!).

There are plenty of sites devoted to LR/PS usage, linky for just one of these -

The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing > Chapter 3. Preparing images for printing - Pg. : Safari Books Online

Kelly Cook
    (Lightroom novice)

4. Amy Seol

Amy Seol Member

Thanks Andy , Thanks Kelly :) for your reply.

Have you ever come across i2e Image Editor or Perfect suite( genuine Fractals by onOne Software's)?
    The i2e editor reviews showed that they automatically enhance Memory Color, Shadow and Highlight, brightness, contrast.?

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

There used to be an i2e plugin that worked with Photoshop and should work with Elements as well. But since i2e left the consumer products business I don't know if the plugin is available anymore.

6. Amy Seol

Amy Seol Member

Do we have any tool in market similar to i2e. I am actually facing lot of problem because many images are to be worked upon every day :-( and then printed. Adobe photoshop/LR is little time consuming if many images are to be managed simultaneuosly .

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.