Image quality S5 IS vs SX 40 HS

Discussion in 'Canon' started by MehdiAnis, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MehdiAnis

MehdiAnis New Member

I used Canon S5 IS (8 Mega Pixel) camera for 3 years and it produced great pictures. I used Highest resolution with Finest Quality settings. Usually each pics turned to 3.5MByte on average for 3264x2448 resolution.

I just bought Canon SX 40 HS 12 Mega Pixels camera couple of days ago. I set the camera to Highest Resolution and Finest Quality. It produces images of 2.5MByte on average for 4000x3000 resolution.

I am not impressed by the quality. If I set image to 100% zomm (Actual Size) in any image viewer, I can see much more GRAINs in the pic. In my S5 IS I did not have that much Grainy pic at 100% zoom level.

My understanding is, SX 40 is applying some compression which compressing the file size a lot but at the cost of quality. I could not find any other settings that can help improve the quality.

If any one can show me if there is any other setting that will improve the image quality that will be great. I cannot accept LOW quality image from this NEWER camera. I will appreciate your help. Thanks.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The SX40 does not have a RAW mode so your pictures are limited to JPG mode including Canon's compression scheme.

The Panasonic FZ150 is a better ultrazoom for the experienced photographer as it has RAW shooting ability plus more manual control options than the SX40 HS.

3. MehdiAnis

MehdiAnis New Member

Hi Andy,
    Thanks for the reply. I agree that neither S5 IS nor SX40 has RAW mode. My complain is, being SX40 much newer/better camera than S5IS, why Canon using more compression to make the pic smaller at the cost of quality. Very disappointed at Canon and SX40.

In S5IS there was FINE & SuperFINE, in SX40 it has only FINE mode. May be that's the problem.

I will check on the FZ150. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.