ipod buying recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hpalltheway, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hpalltheway

hpalltheway Well-Known Member

Re: Day Two at PMA 2007

hey ben,thanks for replying to my other message. lol, i know this is kinda way off topic question but im just curious. if you have general knowlaedge about ipods, do you think its worth spending on a 30gb ipod video ($279.99 canadian) or its better off going for a nano such as a 4gb for $229. thanks!

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

That's up to you since there's a difference in size, which is a personal preference, and how you use it. I like the video ipod since I check a couple video podcasts, but you get less battery life, which is fine for the way I use it. If you want to stay small and have better battery life, go with the nano.

3. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

@hpalltheway:

Realize also that although you may not need space now, you may need it one day. I bought a 20 gig iPod three years ago, I figured why go with the 40 gig I only have like 12 gig of music. But sure enough I ran out after a while. I now have 35 gig on my 80 gig, and hope that will last me for some time!!!!

4. hpalltheway

ah sweet, thanks guys. lol, just one more thing. i heard apples 30th aniversory is in april and there were rumours about something new coming out...again. rumours say that its like the ipod video but the screen side is all screen, no scroll wheel, thus, tehe scroll wheel is virtual. the entire screen is suppose to be touchscreen. would apple come out iwth something so soon? thanks!

p.s: hey ben, sorry if this postis to off topic for this thread. im just curious about peoples opinion, so i can make the right one. lol thasnks!

andBtaryag, wow, you have 35 gigs of music? thats over 7500 songs. nice!

5. bTaryag

With the unveiling of the iPhone a few weeks ago, we saw what a touchscreen and widescreen iPod would look like. It can do really cool (and also useful) stuff. If Apple is doing this for the iPhone, people are speculating that they will so this for the iPod as well. Widescreen gives you more screen space (although it lessens battery life) and you can do some really cool stuff with thte touchscreen. Check out this link http://www.apple.com/iphone/ipod/ to see what it can do.

I just checked and I have almost 38 gigs, but only 7100 songs. This is because I encode my songs at a slightly higher bitrate than what is default, to get better sound quality, but this takes more room. Worth in, in my opinion!

6. bTaryag

Also speaking about rumors, there are rumors flying that Apple will get rid of the hard drive in all iPods, switch to flash, for better battery life, less mechanical failure, slightly smaller sizes, slightly faster operation. With the prices of flash falling this would be possible!

7. hpalltheway

the highest flashdrive that apple has iss 8gb. which is 279.99 canadian dollars and is allso the same price as a 30gb hard drive ipod video. wouldnt be wuite a while till a 30gb flashdrive comes out?

and, just another thing, would you recommend to wait till something new comes out, most possibly in april because its apples 30th aniversory?

and lastly, 279.99 is the "sale price" rght now, the lowest one ive seen in stores. would the ipod videos continue to eventually drop in price?

Thanks very much!

8. bTaryag

You are more or less correct, but realize a few things. First of all, the high price of the 8 gig nano isn't only because of the flash memory. The old iPod mini was also expensive even though it used hard drives. The cost is due to the small size. Tech things are always more expensive when packed into a small package.

Also, flash memory is one of the fastest depreciating tech items out there, the prices keep on falling and falling. And the talk it that Apple may go with flash drives in some of their notebooks, which together with the iPod would allow them to buy in bulk and get cheaper prices.

And Apple has a history of being a ground-breaker, so it would make sense that they would introduce a 32 gig (or more) flash music player. But at the end of the day, these are just rumors, and I've been in the tech world enough to know that they aren't all true, to say the least!

Most people will tell you not to wait for tech things to come out. Because when it comes out, an even better product will be just around the corner. So buy now and enjoy it! (Also, a new product can always have flaws which aren't realized and corrected until after it hits the market. For example, the first batch of nanos had problems with the screen breaking).

I don't know how much iPods should be in Canada, but that's like 240 USD, which is a pretty good deal if it's from a reputable store. iPods in general don't go on sale, so you can never get really great deals (unless you buy from a website that may not be honest). Apple doesn't usually drop the prices either. They keep the starting price until they introduce a new model, and then they stop selling their old ones.

Good luck!

9. hpalltheway

hey bTaryag, thankyou very much on your perspective about ipods. it has been a great help on my decision. i already have an mp3 player, the motorola razr v3t, its built inn, with 1gb of mmeory but 1gb doesnt hold much. from my point of view, spending around 300 dollars on something should be though of and researched of what your spending on which is what im doing now lol. all in all, would you recommend getting the ipod video right now? or wait till something new comes out, and if the new item is to expeisncive, gt the video when the price is down because of the new product. thanks!

10. bTaryag

Like I said, most people advise to buy now, and use it now, and enjoy it now.

That said, I don't do that. I wait so I can have the latest and greatest. This some times doesn't work out the way I want. For example, for the past three-four months I was anxiously expecting (and so were most digital camera people) Canon to release an updated Canon S3 IS at the PMA which just took place. But Canon did not release it. They may in a few more months, who knows. Had I bought it a few months ago I would have had much enjoyment from it.

On the other hand, if you but an iPod now and Apple releases a new one in a month you may kick yourself.

Basically it's a gamble both ways, and it depends on what kind of person you are. I'm sorry I can't help you on this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.