Is there a camera you wish someone would make?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David Rasnake, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I know that a lot of this discussion may overlap related threads in this area, but a side discussion in another thread suggested the idea: is there a camera, in terms of look, feel, specs, and price, that you wish someone would make. For me, here it is (check out the original thread here if you care):

So there's mine. What's yours?

dr

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Take a Canon 1Ds Mark III or Nikon D3 and put it in a package the size of a Nikon D300 and sell it for $1600. :D

The Canon 5D is too outdated (And expensive). :p

3. David Rasnake

Interesting, usapatriot. On that note, I did see someone (and I can't find it now when I'd like to, of course) discussing how with current discounts, rebates, and some scheme of selling the free printer Canon is currently giving you with the 5D, you could theoretically get into one for about $1800. That comes close to your number, if "non-traditionally", shall we say.

Obviously, the 5D concept is due for an update, which may yield exactly the camera you're looking for. Because they bracket their systems slightly differently, Canon doesn't really have a direct competitor for the D300. Assuming it stays on track to do well, it makes most sense that they would respond with some kind of 5D update (as both are "step-down pro" models).

dr

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I am still wishing for the physics problems to be solved so that I can have that wide-angle telephoto lens I have always wanted.

I really want to be able to take sweeping panoramic close-ups from very far away.

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I would also like to see a full-frame Canon EOS, 12MP (or more), with dual SDHC (no CF). It does not need all the bells and whistles of most DSLRs these days, either; just the basics, which, of course, has to include RAW.

6. David Rasnake

I like this idea, as it in many ways gets at the same kind of camera I'm looking for for day-to-day shooting. Ultimately, given the current trends, I don't know if there's much hope for those of us who would prefer the option of a more minimalist DSLR.

Here's hoping,
    dr

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  7. BigJob

BigJob Member

I agree with AKAJohnDoe and David.

I'd like to see a camera that paid less attention to features and "gizmos" and put a greater emphasis on picture quality.

I have high hopes that the upcoming Canon replacement for the 5D will "lean this way", but I'm guessing that Canon, like all the OEM's, will feel obliged to add all the latest "gizmos" to the product. Too bad, as this could possibly be a great niche product ... Sort of quietly "behind" the 1Ds models, but offering a good full-frame sensor with big fat juicy pixels...maybe an update on the 16.7mp sensor used in the 1Ds MkII??

What would I like to see? Well apart from the daydream outlined above and among other things, how about: a fully sealed body with "tank-like" build, full-frame sensor, 12 to 18mp, good noise control algorithms, well developed AF, AE, all with manual overrides and .... this could go on and on...but it feels like a digital version of the old Nikon F2AS I have.

I guess that's all as clear as mud!

8. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I would want Pentax to make a digital clone of the original Pentax K1000 and call it the K1000D. Then they could put a six megapixel full frame cmos sensor in it. Along with in-body shake reduction and a 2.5" 230,000 pixel LCD and unlimited 3.0fps unlimited shooting with an 11-point auto focus system and finally only basic manual controls, no fancy extra stuff.

And sell it for $999.

9. David Rasnake

See, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about, though I don't have a strong desire to go back to full-frame (I have too many digital-specific lenses to justify the move back...).

dr

10. David Rasnake

Makes sense to me. Just a question: other than pro-level price, where does the D3 fall short on this?

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.