Is there a 'Hybrid' camera out there ??

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Stevie, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevie

Stevie New Member

Hi, I'm looking for a camera in between an compact instamatic and a full digital SLR, is there such a thing ??. I want to spend up to $800.00. It must have a good zoom lens & be pretty robust. I (try) to take a lot of action shots of my kids. I understand the Sony NEX range might fit the bill ?? Am I on the right track. Any advice pls. This is a big purchase for my wife and I and I want to make the right choice. Thank you.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

It sounds like you're looking for a compact mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (MILC). The Sony NEX cameras are in that class.
    Compact MILC cameras have good image quality, due to their large DSLR-type sensors and use interchangeable lenses, though the lenses are smaller than those used in DSLR's. While they have manual controls most are found in the camera's menu - they have far fewer buttons and dials than a DSLR. Look to the Sony NEX series, the Fuji X series, the Nikon 1 series, the Panasonic GF series, the Olympus E-PL series and the Samsung NX series.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

MILC cameras such as NEX come with a 3X zoom standard. You can buy lenses with more zoom for these bodies, but that lens alone will cost over $500. There are also the new Nikon P7800 and Sony RX10. Unfortunately the P7800 has a much smaller sensor than a DSLR, and the RX10 is over your budget.

Nikon Announces Coolpix P7800 with EVF

VIDEO: Sony RX10 Preview

Kelly Cook

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Panasonic LF1 has a large sensor, takes good pictures and is a very quick performer. It comes with a 7x zoom lens and is one of the few compact point and shoot cameras with a viewfinder.
    Here are some sample images:
    Flickr Search: panasonic lf1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.