k1000 lenses fit k100 camera??

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by luvlilacs, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvlilacs

luvlilacs New Member

I have a vintage k1000 and am considering buying a k100. If the lenses are interchangeable that would be great. Also does anyone have info regarding which dslr is best (including Canon, Nikon,Olympus)

Thanks

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

The Pentax K100D Super is compatible with the following Pentax lenses with the following designations: "Pentax KAF2, KAF, KA mount".

The original Pentax K100D (not super) is not compatible with as many lenses.

The Pentax K200D (not released yet) is compatible with the following lenses: "PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF- and KAF2-mount lenses"

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

luvlilacs,
    All of the Pentax K-series DSLRs are compatible in some fashion with the old M-series lenses like you probably have for your K1000. While they've changed the information slightly and it's not entirely clear, the basic idea is that any of the new Pentax SLRs will work with almost any Pentax lens. It really is that simple.

Obviously, lenses from the K1000 are not autofocus, meaning you'll have to use them as you always have. Similarly, you'll have to work in Manual mode (just like on your K1000, where you set both shutter speed and aperture), and there are a couple of things you have to do in the camera menus to make the setup work. I shoot Pentax (I have a K100D and a K10D) and have a 120mm f/2.8 M lens from the late 1970s that I use regularly with both cameras. If you can tell us a little more about which lenses you have, we can confirm that they'll work, but if they work with the K1000 they'll mount to the K100D.

As far as which DSLR to choose, can you provide us with a little more information on what you're looking for? Specifically, what is your budget, what kind of photos do you take, what features are important to you. As a rule, the entry-level DSLRs from all the major manufacturers are quite good, but each have their relative strengths and a little more info about what you're looking to do would help narrow the field for you.

Hope this helps,
    dr

4. hallenti

hallenti New Member

One thing to watch for (which happened to me) are any of the "pins" on some of the older menses not made for the camera by Pentax. They are for aperture and other things. They could get "stuck" due to a lack of perfect alignment and the lens then may be difficult to remove or mount. Just be sure that any contact areas between the body and the lens mate perfectly and you should be fine. I mounted a Sears lens that I had used on another Pentax film camera hundreds of times and it got about half way attached and wouldn't go the rest of the way nor come off. This was less than 2 hours after I got the camera. Luckily, a check on a site got me the idea to use thin automotive feeler gauges to slip between the body and the lens, and I was able to get the pins pushed back enough to remove the lens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.