K2000 vs D60

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by SoCalRich, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCalRich

SoCalRich Well-Known Member

Has anyone been shooting with both cams and have any real world input?

IQ is real important to me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. SoCalRich

Yes I did read David's review Andy... It was basically a toss up and so it is with me as well. That's why I was asking for additional input from shooters who have used both.

4. glanglois

glanglois Member

I cannot find it in my generous heart to call DCR's article a fair evaluation.

It gave less weight than was reasonable to the weather sealing (I don't shoot in rain but many outdoor venues have a lot of dust.) and the reference to pawnshops and thrift stores was disingenuous, at best. We find many, many good lenses through the used gear departments of local camera shops or large Internet retailers, and we should not forget firms like KEH that specialize in used equipment.

I'm sure it happens, but I've never heard of a Pentaxian haunting thrift shops for good glass - no need to when there are very reputable photo houses glad to help.

The D60 cannot get use autofocus on older lenses (Nikon very deliberately removed that function from the camera) and that limits the buyer of what is supposed to be an inexpensive camera (D60) to new, expensive lenses. This is particularly painful if the user finds value in image stabilization and has to pay for Nikon VR. You'd be better off looking at a used D80, I suspect, than a crippled D60.

I won't suggest which is best as I don't know you or your goals for your photography, but I would warn that this particular review was carefully constructed to support one of Nikon's poorer efforts.

5. SoCalRich

ok... I appreciate your input. Something to consider.

How do you feel about Pentax's financial stability in these trying times. Are they going to be around for the long haul. There are some who think not. What's your view?

6. leaftye

leaftye Well-Known Member

The K2000 kit with everything including a camera case and free shipping is $400 at Amazon today. It's hard to skip that deal. I'm only skipping it because I need to stretch my existing funds until at least October. Sucks to not be spending nowadays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.