K200D is a great learner's camera

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by wylla, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wylla

wylla Member

I went up from the point and shoot I was going to buy, and I am very happy with my Pentax K200D. I still had 20-yr-old Pentax lenses and flash - I just need to remember how to use all the settings.
    This camera is making it easy. And on automatic, it is great pictures every time, unless the people are moving fast. As I didn't buy it for a sports camera, that is not an issue with me. Sports mode does help on that - most of the pre-set modes work.
    If I really have to have one-of-a-kind shots, I have put it on automatic, and gotten some fantastic pictures. One with dark people inside a structure, with a bright outside background (in a picnic pavilion) or an awards ceremony in the school auditorium, where they persisted in standing in front of (instead of under) the stage lights, all cleaned up beautifully just using the levels controls in photoshop. They weren't bad to begin with, but I appreciated the camera gave me enough good details to make them better.
    I also have some fantastic pictures from a couple of people who know what they are doing.
    So I am very happy after a month of using this camera in very different places, under some very different conditions. I am also very happy that I can re-learn what I am doing with controls,with a camera that will take very good pictures by itself when I need it to, while I am learning. I absolutely recommend this camera, especially as the price drops and there is the rebate. It is a great "put-your-toe-in-the-ocean" camera.

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I gotta agree, I love my K200D and it has been my first DSLR camera. I've learned and am learning a great deal with it, image quality is great and the auto and scene modes work well when you want to use them.

3. Nicky2007

Nicky2007 Well-Known Member

This seems to be something unique about Pentax cameras. I remember years back during my honeymoon when my wife & I were crossing a massive lake on a ferry. It was a long journey & I was bored. My wife asked me about my camera - a Pentax ME Super. So I taught her a few pointers & she started to shoot a number of pictures with it. The pictures turned out very well. My wife knew nothing about photography before the trip. I still have these pictures with me. Till today, I still don't understand how my wife did it. Perhaps, it's the way the guys at Pentax design & manufacture their cameras. Perhaps they've managed to strike a balance in manufacturing cameras that can be forgiving, yet without giving away too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.