K20D to be discontinued?

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by Nicky2007, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicky2007

Nicky2007 Well-Known Member

Heard this from the grapevine that Pentax will soon discontinue the production of the K20D camera & focus on the new K7. Is there any truth in this?

On a separate note, my local camera store owner said that with Nikon & Canon capturing almost 90% of the market, it'll be difficult for Pentax to stay in business in view of the current economic crisis.

My personal opinion is that Pentax will do very well if they only increase the range of their lenses. A number of my friends did say that what deterred them from buying a Pentax is the very limited range of lenses even though prices of Pentax lenses are very competitive.

Just ranting aloud ;)

2. f4ding

f4ding Active Member

As far as I understood, Pentax has so many lenses from older SLRs. They're mostly backward compatible, and these lenses actually cover all the range needed. Pentax just need to make this clear to the 'new' Pentax users.

3. Nicky2007

Nicky2007 Well-Known Member

While that's true, the new generation of camera owners are not like those of us from the old school.

While we wouldn't mind spending a couple of minutes setting up the focus & aperture manually, the new bunch of owners can't see the reason why should they spend a fortune on a K20D or K7, only to be told they can't get auto-focus, auto this or auto that because they have to use an old set of lenses.

In other words, Pentax need to up their game with this Gen-X, Y or whatever. If they don't innovate, they will evaporate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.