Kilimanjaro

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Dave L, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave L

Dave L Member

I'm planning on climbing Mt Kilimanjaro this June. Temps can be very cold. I'm looking for a digital camera, compact with a zoom that will take good pictures in that climate. This will only happen once so it needs to be reliable. I've done some searching and the ones that seem interesting have bad reviews re: picture quality.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thx.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

There are a few new compacts coming out that are freeze-resistant, such as the Canon D10, the Panasonic TS1, the Fuji Z33wp and the Olympus Tough 8000. These may have better picture quality than the weather resistant cameras that are currently available (made by Olympus and Pentax).

3. Dave L

Dave L Member

Andy -

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check them all out.

Dave

4. leaftye

leaftye Well-Known Member

With most electronics in sub-freezing temperatures you will want to have an external power pack. Keep the external power pack warm so the batteries actually work, but let the camera reach equilibrium with the environment so it doesn't get condensation....err "freeze"ensation. Do any of these compact cameras come with a power plug for a charger? I imagine you'd already have a handlamp with an external power pack. If you can make an adapter to work with the camera, I think you'd be all set.

5. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

Very good point Eugene. At the very least, I would invest in a few extra battery packs and also an extra high-performance memory card. Maybe you could purchase a hand warmer pouch to keep the extra batteries warm when not being used. Good luck.

6. Dave L

Dave L Member

Leaftye and rp2s -

Both good points. I was planning on an extra battery and memory card to bring along. Much of the trip "should" be good weather. I've been told to sleep with whatever needs to stay warm so I'll probabaly plan on having a pouch for the battery and memory card. Thanks for your input.

Dave L

7. Kidder

Kidder Active Member

Question:

I understand that batteries use chemical reactions to create a current so therefore lowering the temperature can reduce the chemical reaction speed. However, I thought resistance in circuits is reduced in low temperatures, so doesn't that improve memory card performance?

8. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

Hello Kidder,

I never thought about the possible performance increase for memory cards at lower temps. My suggestion for the extra card(s) was not to keep all of your eggs in one basket for a "trip of a lifetime". Besides, memory cards are pretty cheap these days, and don't require much space to carry a few extras. Thanks for the tip.

9. Dave L

Dave L Member

Thanks to all for your input. I've looked at all the camera's mentioned and think I will go with the Canon D10 when it becomes available. It's a little bulbous but it looks like it will work well for this trip. I'm also goign to have back up batteries and additional memory cards and will endeavor to keep all as warm as possible during the trek. Thanks again.

10. Kidder

Kidder Active Member

@rp2s

To be honest, I don't think it makes much of a difference unless the temperature is extremely low (below -10 degrees Celcius). And yes, it never hurts to carry lots of extra memory! Especially if climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro is a once in a lifetime thing!

@Dave L
    Just out of curiousity, are you doing the "touristy" slope or the "pro" slope? It's funny, because I've recently added climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro to my list of things to do before I turn 30. Care to share your plans so I know what to do when it's my turn?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.