Kodak digiCams under $200 for night time use?

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by blondieblue227, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blondieblue227

blondieblue227 Member

Hi, I’m a bit of a digital camera newbie so I’m glad I found this site.

Got a Kodak 3500 2.2 years ago. Made the mistake of getting an aiptek camera last year.
    Should’ve stuck to Kodak.

What is the best Kodak camera for taking pictures outside at night, that’s under $200?
    I saw the Kodak compare page but I couldn’t tell which specs apply to night picture quality.

Thank you!

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

There are not a lot of point and shoot cameras, period, that do a good job in the dark, let alone a Kodak camera. Are you really set on Kodak?

Also, when you take shots outside at night, do you hand hold the camera, or do you have a tripod?

3. blondieblue227

blondieblue227 Member

4. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

You will certainly want to find one with Image Stabilization, and also might consider finding some better ways of keeping the camera still - liking leaning on a tree, placing it on a railing, or using some alternative method of keeping the camera still. Keep in mind that these won't help if your subject (or something in the picture) is moving.

5. blondieblue227

blondieblue227 Member

Ok, thanks for the advice.

does it have anything to do with ISO? did some research and hope i'm understanding it correctly.

'low-light situations where the camera has automatically selected a higher ISO.

If you want to take pictures indoors where light may not be sufficient and in other low-light situations, then you would need to supplement existing light with flash or studio lights. Either that, or select a higher ISO.

Suppose your digital camera's light meter warns you there is not enough light to correctly expose a scene. You would then need to use a higher ISO.'

6. lare

lare Member

Kodak has a new camera out now, the Z1085 IS that uses low light technology that Kodak developed last year.

This particular camera can capture 10 megapixel images at ISO 3200 and can capture 3 megapixel images at ISO 6400 and 8000.

I doubt the latter are very high quality but for a point and shoot to get ISO 3200 at that resolution is incredible. There will be a review here on this site in a couple of weeks, one of the site admins said..

If the review comes out good, that's the camera for me. I want to start taking lots of low light photos, without the flash. .

The camera also has 5x optical zoom. .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.