Kodak EasyShare Z812 IS Review

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by Howard Creech, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarranz

mcarranz New Member

Thank you for the information, OldPhotographer!

McA

2. OldPhotographer

OldPhotographer Member

A review of the Z812 IS was recently posted at digitalcamerainfo.com

They found flaws, but they find flaws with all digital cameras (nothing is perfect). :)

What was interesting to me was that if you compare the score values there for important things like resolution, noise, white balance, dynamic range, etc. with some of the other digital point and shoots I mentioned above, the Z812 IS still has the least flaws in the things I consider most important pertaining to the image. To be fair they did not review a Fuji S8000 yet and also they say the Sony H7 gets better scores in these image important areas. But I looked up user reviews of the Sony H7 and Sony H9 (bigger LCD + higher resolution on LCD) on amazon.com and there are some problems with both that I personally do not want to have to deal with.

I think I'll stick with the Z812 IS at least for now.

Hope this helps.

3. stuman74

stuman74 Member

I'm looking to buy this camera as well and have a question about the battery and charger.

Why are, for example, Energizer NiMH 2500 mAh batteries not recommended? Because of the voltage perhaps? I've used these in an older Kodak camera and other devices without issue.

Also, it looks like the EasyShare Dock 3 can charge this camera and comes with a NiMH battery anyway. I'm assuming then that this dock can charge both NiMH and LiIon rechargeable batteries as well.

4. OldPhotographer

OldPhotographer Member

stuman74,

LiOn and NiMh batteries have different discharge characteristics. You might encounter unreliable operation with NiMh batteries if the Z812 IS was not designed to work with them. Call or email Kodak to minimize your risk.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/contactKodak/email/digCam.jhtml?pq-path=8920/8958

Live phone support in English and Spanish is available at 1-800-235-6325 (23KODAK), option 12, Monday through Sunday, 9 A.M. to 8 P.M. Eastern time.

Or it might be easier to try Lithium CRV3 rechargeables.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/458119-REG/Impact_CRV3_CR_V3_3V_Rechargeable_Lithium_Ion.html

Personally, I prefer the AA Lithium disposables. Too many things to recharge already. :)

5. stuman74

stuman74 Member

Do you use the Energizer lithium AA's by chance? That's what I'm considering using if I don't go the recharger route. At Sam's Club, it looks like it's about $3.50 for two of those AA's if bought in a bulk pack.

Kodak's KLIC-8000 plus a charger is about $60. That's the same as 17 pairs of those Energizer lithium AA's.

6. Gary Bartlett

Gary Bartlett Member

Shio Giest - I have no problem with an HP iPAQ 3950 and 2 iPAQ h5555 pocket computers reading standard SD card up to 150x from my computers or directly from camera jpeg images, or .MOV video files.

The recommended SDHC class 2 or above SDHC card are not compatible with with older devices which do not have SDIO interface standards.

The main review mentioned slow write times. Well if they used the supplied standard SD card they will get slow write times, slow video performance, and jerky or pauses in video play back with slow standard SD cards that are very slow. Lexar makes the Kodak memory cards. Go to their web site to see the spec's but as far as I know Kodak's High Performance SD cards are Class 2 cards. The equivalent Nikon or Lieca Hi Performance digital cameras write up to about 9Mhz per second. I use Adata Turbo 150X 2GB SD cards available at Fry's elecronics or on-line for aprox. $10 per GB I called the Mfg. and these write up to 11Mbs and read at up to 22Mbs [one of the fastest read speeds available]

You cannot use the Z812 IS as a webcam through the USB2, and you cannot get the Stereo sound out of the USB cord with one RCA plug for video and one for mono audio. or listen to the internal camera speaker in stereo.

The slide show audio or still recorded audio, and the Video audio comes out in stereo when played back from stored files played on the computer, or through the HD dock which has component [three plugs out for HD video, and a left and right audio out.]

Old Photographer - I do not understand what your trying to do while playing back or reviewing images taken. You say your unable to zoom and review the next shot you plan to take while reviewing play back stored images? Your either in the playback/review mode or the auto/manual/scene mode to take pictures not both.

The Kodak sets auto focus, and exposure, in wide, tele or macro. Sounds like your not going half way down on the trigger to allow auto focus, exposure and lock in of those functions prior to taking by just pushing the exposure button. I have two Z812's and they operate that way and focus.

Targus makes a rechargeable CRV3 Li-ion which is lithum Ion TGB-CFV3, the best battery is the Klik-8000 which is a Li-Ion. you can get the Klik-8000 on-line for $11-14 verses Kodak's price of $29.

Separate topic/thread but no one has mentioned the worse part of the Kodak Z812 IS digital camera. The serious issue of distorted unusable sound when recording video at live groups, outdoor arena or any moderate to loud sounds at an airport or even your stereo playing in the background.

7. Gary Bartlett

Gary Bartlett Member

The newest Kodak HD High Definition, High Performance/Zoom camera Model Z812 IS optical performance is superb. The still and video audio recording is sub par and unuseable under medium loudness enviornments such as airports, arena's, sporting events, or even while recoding with a stereo playing in the back ground. This is a engineering technical problem as I have two Z812 IS out of box from the Kodak Store, both the same bad to useable audio and AGC level control.

Go listen to the audio from over 250 away on heavy grass of a small band with someone singing.

Re: http://www.badongo.com/vid/537351

Kodak gets an F for releasing Z812 IS Hi Definition Super Zoom high performance model early, without field testing in actual sound recording environments. All Z812 IS sold to date have a serious Audio distortion AGC problem recording outdoor, sports, live music or loud background noise. Kodak needs to recall this model, and make good on all those sold to date. The Z812 IS will fail to make the grade and be a popular camera in its class due to this serious engineering problem with recorded audio.

I have experience with two factory sealed purchases direct from the Kodak Store. They both have a serious audio recording and AGC problem to an otherwise hi performance, great featured camera.

Pick any digital still camera you want that records video and sound, and it will out perform the Kodak Z812 IS, even their low end $79 5MP C513 with IS records audio clearly compared to the Kodak Z812 IS.

Be sure and test the audio recording quality of this model before releasing a review as several other reviewers have done and completely missed this serious problem. Test this model along side of any other make or model in loud, sports, outdoor or live music environments. The Kodak Z812 IS will fail and falter to its knees as it has an engineering early release audio distortion and AGC problem Kodak does not want to acknowledge, talk about, or correct.

Kodak needs to recall and correct this serious audio recording problem on all Z812 IS sold to date, and re-engineer the sound recording qualities in version 2 of this otherwise very nice an well performing camera in the HD, high performance, hi zoom class.

8. Gary Bartlett

Gary Bartlett Member

The Kodak Z812 IS HD digital still and Video camera.

Pro's:

I have nothing but +++ to say about the Optical, performance, handling, and quality of the Z812 IS Except the Audio recording is sub Par of all cameras in its class.

Cons:

Unusable distorted recorded sound in the digital still or video modes with moderate to loud sound or live music.

Unable to turn off sound recoding.

Unable to pause Video during recording.

No external Flash output or connector.

No external Flash shoe.

Large round shadow in wide when Kodak Lens adapter is used.

Lens cap will not work on Kodak's lens adapter, Kodak doesn't supply cap for adapter.

No Charger, No Rechargeable Battery Supplied, No A/C adapter supplied.

No way to turn off LCD or Viewfinder LCD manually, must wait for time out.

If on tripod, no way to replace media card or battery without removing camera.

No manual white balance.

No Raw image format only JPG

No way to get the Stereo recorded audio out of camera using USB and supplied video/mono audio cable.

Date and Day only for time stamping, earlier Kodak's had date/day/year and time picture was taken.

No user manual supplied, must download and print from website.

Very limited flash range

Shadow and uneven lighting when flash is used with lens adapter on.

Rear Fixed 2.5" LCD easily marred and scratched in normal use. Not articulating.

Jog wheel easily enabled, only used for a couple of functions.

No optical diopter adjustment on LCD Viewfinder to correct for eye site or wearing glasses.

On a 1-5 rating I give this new model a 2 rating, and would not recommend it to anyone until Kodak corrects the bad audio recording, distortion and AGC Audio Gain Control problem. A nice featured, performance, and priced digital still camera. The HD video is good but useless if the sound is bad and unusable.

Re: Re: http://www.badongo.com/vid/537351

Gary Bartlett
    Sacramento, CA

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  9. OldPhotographer

OldPhotographer Member

stuman74,

That is a great price for the AA Lithiums. I am embarassed to say I did not even think of looking for them at the megamarts. They are $20 for 8 AA's at the local stores here.

Gary,

When you are playing back an image you have already shot with the Z812 IS, you can zoom in on a piece of the image at 2x, 4x, or 8x magnification. When you zoom in on any piece of the image at any magnification, the displayed image piece is blurry. I do this with my Canon A80 to check for sharpness and focus accuracy to know if I can crop/enlarge my shot. Because the image piece blurs with the Z812, I get no useful info about sharpness, focus or my potential for enlargement / cropping.

When I am in macro mode and depress the shutter halfway, the camera tries to focus. If it cannot focus the focus led blinks. If I then depress the shutter all the way, the camera takes the picture anyway, out-of-focus. Sometimes the led goes solid indicating the camera is focused even when it is not. Macro can be a little dicey. You have to use your own judgement on the image clarity before you depress the shutter completely.

I have not tried the audio of the video portion of the camera. I only intended to use it for stills since I have a real camcorder. It is good though that you are making potential buyers aware of this problem. Maybe if Kodak sees your comments often enough on all the various forums, you will shame them into fixing it. You might want to post it also at digitalcamerainfo.com since they just recently reviewed the Z812 IS also.

10. Gary Bartlett

Gary Bartlett Member

Old Photographer

The specifications say in the macro mode min focus range is 4.7" max 23.7 " If your closer or further than that it will not auto focus, and be blurry.

I just tried mine and I have 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 X on review and mine does not get blurry when magnifying on playback or review if the original is in focus.

Sounds to me your are not locking in the exposure and auto-focus, and just pushing the exposure button when taking pictures.

What do you have set for AF?

Continuous AF or Single AF?

Multi Zone, Center Focus, or Selectable Zone?

Have you updated the firmware they recently revised? I downloaded version 1.0400

Klic-8000 OEM replacement Li-ion rechargeable 3.7VDC 1600Ma are only $8.68 Each at CCS - Calcellular.com. New, 1yr Warranty:

http://www.calcellular.com/klic-8000.html

Klic-8000 3.7VDC 1800Ma are $11.99 at:

http://shopxtreme.com/kodak-klic8000-battery-1800mah-p-620.html

Why pollute with AA lithium one time use disposable batteries. [Plus they are expensive!]

Check your auto-focus setup and zones, and be sure to push the exposure button half way each time you take a picture to set and lock the Auto Focus, and Auto Exposure in the focus ranges you have set or enabled.

Auto Focus default is continuous AF.

Hope the above info is helpful to all, especially the battery Pricing compared to Kodak's $30 [$29.95] for the Klic-8000 Re: 1/3rd the price. I just ordered 2 of them today for $8.68 each for the exact same battery as Kodak's $30 Li-ion rechargeable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.