Kodak EasyShare Z812 IS Review

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by Howard Creech, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Bartlett

Gary Bartlett Member

Stuman74

Yes NiMH cells are 1.2volts or two are 2.4V

Li-ion 2 cells are 3.7VDC and the camera cuts off when Li-ion cells [or any cells] get slightly below 3.0 volts. So even if NiMH are larger Milli. Amp capacity the voltage is lower and the camera will shut off mid way through its capacity due to low voltage.

Normally CR-V3 is a disposable non rechargeable Lithium battery

Recently several mfgs. have produced rechargeable CR-V3. The Rechargeable CR-V3 I have is labeled by Targus and is a TGB-CRV3 showing Li-ion 3.0 V 1700Ma. This Targus is not exactly like the KLIC-8000 terminal wise but works ok, but will not charge in the HD dock, in the camera, or on the Kodak Charger. I found a way around while charging in the Kodak charger.

OEM charger equivalent to the Kodak for Li-ion rechargeables are avail at the above vendors I mention and all over the net for $14-$19.95 verses Kodak $34.95 and $39.95 if you want foreign adapter kit. Most come with a cigar automotive 12VDC power cord for charging mobile also.

2. stuman74

stuman74 Member

Here's the Energizer AA LiIon Batteries that I am planning on buying at my local Sam's Club. Pre-tax, they are actually $19.74 for 12 batteries (comes out to only $3.29 per pair). I'm assuming they should have the same performance as the Kodak CRV3 non-recharge battery...and at about 1/2 the cost.

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0003980006291_L4.jpg

3. Gary Bartlett

Gary Bartlett Member

4. stuman74

stuman74 Member

Are those non-Kodak branded rechargeables truly equivalent or are there possiblities of issues with them? Also, I would need to buy a charger. So two of those batteries plus the charger puts me at around $35-$40, correct? That's the same as 12 pairs of LiIon disposables. I'd hope to get a couple months out of each pair of those. My Z812 will arrive today so I guess I'll see how long the CRV3 that comes with it lasts first per my usage.

5. stuman74

stuman74 Member

Now, last question is, do I really also need a high speed SD card? I bought straight from Kodak and they threw in a 1 GB standard SD card. I definitely want to shoot the SD video and I know they recommend the hi-speed cards, but is it really necessary? I have a Sandisk Ultra II card at home that I can swap out of my Tom Tom if needed I guess.

6. stuman74

stuman74 Member

My Z812 just arrived today. VERY nice camera! Seems pretty intuitive and I've only played with the most basic settings.

A couple of questions/issues:

I'm shooting at 8.0 MP. Does the compression level (Fine/Standard/Basic) really matter? The file sizes are impacted of course, but I took a few test shots and personally couldn't tell the difference.

The HD video recording level is irritating me. Maybe it's my PC (which has never had an issue playing all kinds of videos), but playing the HD sized video stutters like crazy. Playback on my camera's 2.5" screen seems smooth. Playing the 640x480 video from the Z812 on my PC is fine too.

The lens cover is kinda weak, but I think it's on purpose since no less than 5 times have I turned on the camera with the cover on which just gets popped off by the lens when it extends.

7. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

In my camera experience the Standard level will be fine. I have done tests on my D70, and fine makes no noticeable improvement. If I had to guess, you are in the same boat.

8. EnlightenYourself

EnlightenYourself New Member

Newbie here...my apologies...

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a compatible tripod for this camera? Kodak's website does not offer one for this model.

Thanks in advance for your help and I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for this question.

9. Karen61

Karen61 Member

Just came across this forum (and thread) on the net whilst searching for info and wanted to say thank you to Howard for posting a very informative review of the Kodak Z812IS - I purchased one of these from Ebay a few months ago because I wanted to try out a DLSR model and as this seemed to be the cheapest, smallest one on the market I went for it... BARGAIN!

The manual that came with it basically told me nothing about how to 'use' the camera and as a beginner (to this type of model), I was under the impression my camera might be faulty. After reading the review I have now found out how to use the different settings - in particular the 'jog' wheel!

On the subject of batteries - I was astonished that those which were supplied with the camera only lasted approximately 10 minutes of me getting it out of the box and testing it out! I have since purchased a pack of TWO rechargable battery packs with charger included for under GBP15.00 - these have been a god send! I have used the camera quite a bit already and my photo's have come out quite well - but now I actually know how to use it properly I am looking forward to some new results. I will not give up using my Olympus 740 compact digi camera though - as this is excellent for my needs - but buying the Kodak has given me an insight of what can be achieved from an SLR model. In the past I had used 'film' SLR's, approximately 30 years ago!, but I have since forgotten all I learned on them back then.

Thank you again.

Karen :)

10. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Karen,

The Kodak Z812IS looks like a small DSLR but it's actually a point and shoot camera with a long zoom, commonly called a superzoom or a megazoom. A DSLR focuses through the lens and allows for interchangeable lenses, which the Z812IS doesn't do. Also, the Z812IS has a much smaller sensor than a DSLR and thus does not shoot nearly as well in low light conditions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.