kodak movie formats

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by smithers115, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smithers115

smithers115 New Member

hey, so i got a kodak V1073 for christmas, great little camera for the price. I love taking videos and was pleased to see that it records in 720p, but when i upload the videos to my computer i find out that they are formated in MOV. , aka quicktime apple format. I have windows, and i cant edit or use my videos without going into quicktime. Which is fine but for some reason when i try to play them in QT they lag extremely bad, my computer isnt a comadore 64 so i ont know why that is happening. TO make things worse Youtube and facebook type websites dont accept this format. Does anyone have a solution to my problem, thanks.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I have Windows Vista. I had all kinds of problems with graphics and videos until I added a video card. Now everything runs smooth.

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I've had similar problems with .MOV files as well on Windows machines. I'm a dual-platform (i.e. Mac and PC) user, and while QT format does fine pretty consistently on Macs, and works alright in more advanced video editing software on PCs as well, it can be a pain if you want to keep it simple on your PC.

Thus, you can go a couple of routes. If you're computer savvy, there are some decent freeware conversion apps out there that will turn MOV files into MPEGs (with some loss in quality). I don't have one I can highly recommend at the moment, though, as every setup I've used requires some finessing with technical settings to get decent results.

If you're a little more serious about shooting video and editing it, Adobe Premiere Elements is an extremely powerful but easy to use video editor that should handle QT files with no problem, letting you convert them to any format you want - plus it will let you do all kinds of other fun video editing stuff. The only problem is the cost ($100+), though you can download a free trial of the software from Abode before taking the plunge.

dr

4. djmusic130

djmusic130 Member

There is a small program called Mp4cam2avi that will convert the .mov file to a .avi file you can use. Since Kodak uses the MPEG-4, you can select the option to not re-code the video. The program is fast and efficient. Just Google this name and you'll find the program on Sourceforge. It's not perfect, but is a fast and efficient way to make the format more friendly.

5. pookey

pookey Member

V1073 camera captures HDV (1280 × 720) at 30 fps, you will need a powerful computer to get smooth playback. Make sure that computer meets the system requirements for HD videos, see details below:

For Windows-based operating systems (Vista, XP and 2000)
    Processor
    Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor or faster
    Intel Pentium D processor
    Intel Core Duo and Core 2 processors (includes Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, etc.)
    AMD Athlon 64, 64 FX, and 64 X2Dual Core processors
    AMD Turion 64 and 64 X2 Dual Core mobile processors

Computer memory (RAM)
    512 MB or greater

Video display memory
    64 MB or greater
    For Macintosh-based operating systems
    Processor
    1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 or faster
    Intel Core Duo processor and Core 2 processors (e.g. Core 2 Duo)

Computer memory (RAM)
    256 MB or greater

Video display memory
    64 MB or greater

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.