Kodak Zi8 and Startup Time

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by cmdonnel, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmdonnel

cmdonnel New Member

Has anyone else noticed the larger SDHC card you put in the Zi8, the longer the start up time becomes?

I was using a SanDisk 4GB SDHC (class 4) card and it started up almost instantaneously.
    I then tried a 16 GB SDHC Transcend (Class 6) and it now took about 3-4 seconds before I could start recording (and the SD icon showed on the bottom).
    I then tried a 32 GB Transcend SDHC card (class 6) and now it takes like 6 seconds before the SD icon shows up and allows me to start recording.

Anyone else experience this? What time do you have from when you push ON To when you can start recording?

I dont know if this is a problem with the 32 GB card or the Zi8.. or not a problem at all.

Thanks,
    Craig.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Have you updated the firmware? The latest version is 1.06.

3. cmdonnel

cmdonnel New Member

Yes, have version 1.06 firmware. Camera is only a month old and in all "tests" the memory cards were completely blank.

Called kodak and they said the camera scans the memory card when starting up to determine how much space is available. I could see this being true since it does display the available time left. It's odd though because I also own a Kodak playsport and it's start up time was not affected by increasing the SDHC card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.