LCD Ruined by Anti-Glare Coating

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Myron, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

I was all set to purchase a new Nikon S9100 Point and Shoot until I noticed that the LCD screen had many scratches on the surface. It seems that the screen was sprayed with an anti-glare coating so it doesn't reflect light when used out-of-doors. The problem with that is the coating easily scratches off. In fact, my Canon Elph also had that anti-glare coating and it started peeling-off within several months of purchase. Why do manufacturers spray their screens? They must know that the coating comes off easily. If they want to make a screen resistant to glare, they should use OLED screens instead of LCDs. My question is which manufacturers spray the LCD screens with this anti-glare substance? I will avoid purchasing from these manufacturers. It seems that Panasonic Lumix is OK, but what about Sony, Samsung, etc.? Strange that other camera owners haven't noticed the "peeling" screens.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, but if it`s a camera you really want, fit a screen protector to it.

John.

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't think the peeling happens with all anti-glare coatings, only with those where the coating was improperly applied.

4. alexander

alexander New Member

I had bought and used screen protector on ebay from gearmaxx for my NIKON 1 J2. It has almost been 1 year and the screen is in perfect condition . Not sure if they have for your model or not -

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.