Lens bricked by firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by Ian Carney, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Ian Carney

Ian Carney New Member

Like several other people, I attempted to upgrade the firmware in a lens attached to an Oympus camera using the Olympus Software updater. The update failed, and now the lens is non-functional.

Olympus want to charge to fix their failure - this is galling to say the least, as I followed their instructions to the letter, and as a result the upgrade failed.

I thought Olympus were a reputable company who stood by their products. To charge customers to repair a problem caused by shoddy software is totally unreasonable. What incentive is their for them to fix the crappy software when they earn revenue from every failure.

Sure it is not beyond them to produce reliable software

2. Jonahtron

Jonahtron New Member

Hi, what was the outcome of this? Same thing just happened to me!

3. Ian Carney

Ian Carney New Member

In the end I had to cough up £40 for them to repair it - I tried to get Olympus to accept that this was poor design, pointed out to them that under UK law software must not damage hardware, all to to avail. I spent a lot of time arguing with Olympus, who were not prepared to accept that their software design is not fit for purpose.
    All round arrogant crappy service from a company that does not care about its customers. Disgraceful

4. Jonahtron

Jonahtron New Member

That's so terrible. I read a lot about this prior to seeing your post here in the forum.
    Out of curiousity did you threaten to or actually contact the UK consumer ombudsman?
    What was their response to the legal claim?
    I may do this, though £40 isn't that harsh I guess!

Thanks

5. Ian Carney

Ian Carney New Member

I did contact the Citizens Advice Bureau, who did provide some advice. I did say I would raise a small claims court summons, but didn't actually to this. Their attitude (Olympus) was arrogant to say the least - this is how it is, this is our policy, we are not responsible for how people update their software, blah blah blah.
    Not the attitude I expected from them at all. I was very disappointed with their disdain for their customers.

6. Ian Carney

Ian Carney New Member

Nice source of income - write substandard code and earn money by fixing the results... nice work if you can get it