Lens cover for SX130?

Discussion in 'Canon' started by henrypaz, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henrypaz

henrypaz New Member

Hello- I'm new here, and I hope this won't seem like an irrelevant question. I just bought another Canon camera-the SX130IS. I think I like it pretty well. My other Canon , my point and shoot is a Power Shot A720IS. I have used it steadily for at least 2 years, and I think I have worn it out. Probably made 20-25,000 shots with it. I carry it in my pocket constantly. The main fault is that the LCD screen window is loaded with trash. Dust, pieces of grass, etc. Once I actually saw a small living spider walking around inside there. Don't know what happened to him!

So I want to take better care of my new toy, and thought a press-on/non-click type of lens cap might be available to fit it. I looked at Canon site and did not see anything applicable unless some lens caps might just coincidentally fit. The actual measurement seems to be between 2 5/16 and 2 11/32 inches. Something near 59-60 mm?

If anyone can help out with this, I will be greatful. Thanks, Henry

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Your camera doesn't need a lens cap. An iris closes, covering the lens, when the camera is shut down.

If you're worried about the LCD, purchase a camera case which will protect it. I bought a Canon case for my Canon A720 IS and the LCD looks as good as new.

3. jsorensen

jsorensen New Member

I would like a lens cap too - and I need it. The iris no longer opens because some sand messed it up (the mechanism feels completely free though). Thus, in order to use the camera, I am going to have to glue the iris open permanently. So are there any options for me on this?

4. Andy Stanton

If you try to glue the iris open it's probably going to ruin the camera. It may be time to consider a new camera.

5. Andy Stanton

I checked out some reputable internet camera retailers and I found the new version of your camera, the SX150, for $153.80. Plus many different brands of cameras with at least 10x optical zoom at even cheaper prices, as low as $85.

6. jsorensen

jsorensen New Member

I don't quite see the logic in being careful with a camera that I am going to throw away to buy a new one. I ended up propping the iris open with thin teflon tubes. So far it works like a charm - my lens cover is a zip-loc bag for the whole camera for now.

7. denncald

denncald Well-Known Member

A zip lock bag sounds good for a easy fix. Pocket lint, etc. will get inside those nice thin screen protection blades, so some kind of protective sleeve makes sense. I've always used a small camera bag that can attach to my belt, rather than using a pocket. Never had a problem with dust, dirt, lint, etc. in my A620, G9, or G11. If you don't want to consider it a throw away camera, then take better care of it. Although there are folks who do seem to want an excuse to "upgrade" every time something new comes along, and camera marketers are eager to accommodate.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.