Lens

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Yung, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yung

Yung Member

Hi. I just got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3, and am unsure of what lens to buy.

I can go up to about $300, but the cheaper the better.

The camera has a Micro Four Thirds-mount. It will be used largely as a travel camera, and it will shoot mostly outdoors in available light. I would like for the lens to also be acceptable in low light. My minimum requirement for aperture is f2.8, preferably even wider.

I want a prime lens, between 35 and 60mm. I am aware of the 2x crop factor.

The lens will be used mainly for filming. When traveling, I will only bring a small gorillapod, so a lot of the time, I will shoot handheld. Will I then benefit much from an image stabilizer? If so, that would be a big plus.

Because I will be traveling with the lens, weight is an issue. The lighter the better.

Thank you!!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Olympus f/1.8 45mm is an excellent prime lens and is extremely lightweight. I've seen it on sale for less than $300. However the lens does not have built-in image stabilization, unlike Panasonic micro 4/3 lenses. An alternative is the excellent Panasonic f/1.4 25mm Leica lens, but it's considerably more expensive.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

4. Yung

Yung Member

Thank you!

Also,
    correction to my original post: I can go up to $500. (I'm norwegian and got confused while converting USD to norwegian currency). $500 is absolute max. Also, can I get anyones opinion on whether or not I need IS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.