Lighting for portrait practice

Discussion in 'Photography' started by stedfunk, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stedfunk

stedfunk Member

Hi, I just recently purchased a D5000 and after messing around with landscapes for the past few weeks I'd like to start practicing with portaits. I'm not sure what I really need though. I know I need a lightstand and umbrella but as far as the flash and how to make it wireless so I can put it on the stand away from the camera I'm clueless. I'd also like to get a second flash to be able to flush out the background when I want to (not sure what the correct term is, but when the background is just all white because of the bright 2nd flash) so I'd like some advice on what to buy. It can be cheap, I don't care I just want to practice some portraits. Thank you in advance.

2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

Regrettably, a true flash for the type of work you are talking about is rather expensive. I would suggest you spend some time reading up on the subject and do a little bit of searching around places like eBay and Craigslist to get ideas of prices. I would recommend staying away from the packages on eBay, they usually aren't worth it. That said lighting can be up to you. I usually use 2 flashes for lighting the subject and additional lighting for the background. You can do it with one, or 3 or 5 or however many you want.

3. stedfunk

stedfunk Member

awesome thanks for that link, yeah I just really want something basic that I can mess around with to see what happens haha :) I'll definitely check that out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.