Looking for a camera for climbing

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by danskiz, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danskiz

danskiz New Member

Hello, I'm looking for a new digital camera, and was curious if there are any suggestions for my situation. I primarily use my camera while rock and ice climbing, but also for hiking and backpacking, so some action and some scenic shots.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    -Price isn't as big of a concern for me, If I find what I am looking for.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    -I can't deal with an slr sized camera, but the tiny buttons on the real small ones are irritating, weight is a bigger issue, preferably under 8 or so ounces.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    -Not too picky here as long as the picture is good. I've been using a 3.1 meg camera since '03, and so far that has been adequate, so I don't need the lastest 14 or 15 meg cameras.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    -It would be nice to have at least 6x

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    - I would say 8 to 10, the pictures don't have to have massive resolution, but what is there I want to be nice.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    -nope, never use them. It'll never leave the auto position.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    - Primarily action shots while rock and ice climbing, so a zoom with a wide angle on the the low end would be great. Other than that mostly scenic shots while hiking, backpacking, ect. I'm not sure how much the cold affects the digitals made now. My current camera is a digital, and it operates just fine until it's too cold for the batteries to work. That has only happened to me on a few rare occasions though (below 0F)

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    -Biggest print I have ever used was 8x10, mostly smaller.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    -Almost never indoors, but some low light outside.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    -Climbing is not a fast moving activity, but there is often a lot of contrast in the shots

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    -Not picky

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    -Not really, I've looked at a ton of them, but there's sooooo many!

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    -Wide angle would be great. Image Stabilization would probably take some of my blurry zoom photos back into focus. Weatherproof would be great, but I've never had a problem with that before. It might get a sprinkle or snowflake on it here and there, but never all out wet. It would also be nice to be able to take some short video clips at least at vga and 25 fps, but preferably at 720p (looking at camera's so far, it looks like many have 720p video capablility now). I actually prefer something that uses AA batteries(usually use nimh), but the rechargable packs are ok I guess, so long as extra battery packs are available.

Probably one of the biggest things for me is speed. The lag time between shots is a major pet peeve for me. So something that has a fast zoom, focus, and minimal lag between shots is very important. Same for startup and shutdown, the faster the better. I basically want to be able to pull the camera out, fire off a few shots, and quickly stow it back away.

Am I asking for too much!?! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

I think given all your wants/needs, I suggest a Canon SX10, which gives more flexibility than a regular Point and Shoot and won't be as heavy or cumbersome as a DSLR. It also has great optical zoom!

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I suggest either the Canon A2000is (with a 6x optical zoom and AA batteries), Canon SX110is (10x optical zoom and AA's) or Panasonic TZ5 (10x optical zoom with a lithium/ion rechargeable). They all have very good picture quality and weigh 10 ounces or less.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  4. SeekAndShoot

SeekAndShoot Member

Check out the VholdR...Its a cam that attaches to the helmet and is used in most extreme sports and recreations. I got one and use it for anything involving a helmet. Quality is really good and its cheap..They actually just knocked the price down about 50 bucks to like $299. Great buy!

5. danskiz

danskiz New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. That helmet cam is pretty cool. I got a bullet cam several years ago, not near as user friendly as the one's now though. The novelty wore off pretty quick too. I take way more pictures than video anyway, which is why I'm just looking for a camera with video capability.

6. SoCalRich

SoCalRich Well-Known Member

TZ5 has a 10x zoom and incredible quality pix... That would be my suggestion..

7. erkkimies

erkkimies Member

I can really wouch for that one had it for while as my camping trip camera and i could take good quality pictures with it without problems[​IMG]

8. danskiz

danskiz New Member

I've been looking at a ton of different camera's, and I keep coming back to the TZ5. It seems to be the perfect balance between the features and quality I am looking for, and the weight. Looks like that's what I'm going with! Thanks for all the suggestions.

9. SoCalRich

SoCalRich Well-Known Member

Buy it at COSTCO and you have a 90 day return policy if you decide you don't like it.

10. whoknows

whoknows Member

i ended up getting a TZ5 as well, price it out, i ended up getting mine from Sears since they were willing to price match the Price COSTCO had on their website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.