Looking for a new camera

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by rowman, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Re: Nikon D90 Review

I have found out over the time which I have this camera that I do everything with it so I need manual controls, VF, zoom (at least 10x), macro (needs zoom), low noise up to 400 or preferably 800 (not need to be free because PP works to some extent and I print mostly 4x6"), bracketing and the other things is OK (if sth left;) ).

I think In DSLR route it will go above 1000$ and I certainly can not afford it.

Now with the one that I have I am more or less satisfied with the results after some PP except the noise in some situations that I can remove it specially in low light tricky situations and I think in the future I can find sth which has all these features with 300$?. or am I too optimistic;) .

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I moved your post to the "Which Camera Should I Buy" section because it looks like you're in "search mode" at this point.

No, you won't find the perfect camera for $300 but there are some pretty good ones that have manual controls, a viewfinder, at least 10x zoom, good macro ability and low noise at 400 ISO.

For just over $300 there's the Panasonic FZ35/FZ28, one of the best ultrazooms on the market. Fuji makes several nice ultrazooms, the S1600, S1800 and S2550, that range from under $200 to just over $200 which are really quite a bargain. While they aren't as good as the Panasonic they do tick all of your boxes.

3. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Thanks andy they are not yet up to my standards. for the IQ I expect the same or a bit more than S90. as you said FZ35 is the best one up to now but it still can not do the job for me at ISO 400 and ISO 800 is disaster. Is there any other option comparable to S90 IQ at least with the features that I want?

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Fuji S200EXR has the best image quality of any ultrazoom, especially in low light. Check out the playing cards in DCR's review. Even at 800 ISO the card looks almost noise-free.
    Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Performance, Timings and Image Quality
    However you'll have to come up with more than $400 to buy one.

5. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with you but up until ISO 400. ISO 800 is certainly usable but not noise free. It is at least one stop better than my current camera and unfortunately it is the case also with the price.

Do you think how long should I wait to get sth like this camera for under 300$?

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

For serious a serious noise improvement get a DSLR. Don't know about the camera market in your country, but here in the US it is possible to find good used DSLR cameras for around $300 USD. Refurbished DSLRs here are around $350 USD. Of couse those prices are with the simple "kit" zoom lens, nothing like the zoom range of your SX120. As a general rule, big zoom, budget price, and low noise are conflicting requirements.

Kelly Cook

7. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

The noise performance with the least expensive DSLR such as XS does the job for me.

How much do you expect to pay for a used or refurbished sigma 18-200 OS in US from a reliable seller? I think the lens prices does not decrease like cameras(?). if I can get a zoom lens for 150$ it would be in my list.:rolleyes:

I will have somehow access to US in the future.

8. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Amazon site shows a Sigma 18-200 refurb for $320 USD

9. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    For the lenses it seems that if I go for sony body I will find lenses with less price, probably because of IS in camera. Sigma 18-200 is more than 100$ cheaper compared to Canon or Nikon Version with IS. Maybe I can have a look over sony, then.

Do I miss a lot of IQ if I go with Sony? for the noise issue I am satisfied with A200, and I can say that the IQ is at least much better than what I have now.

10. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I think that is correct. But I'm a Sony A200 owner, so my brain may be warped. There are plenty of reviews of both cameras with lots of ISO samples. So you can make your own comparisons. If a liveview LCD makes you happier, the A330 has that, takes exactly the same lenses as the A200 or any other crop sensor Sony (except the new NEX series). The Sony A850 and A900 are full frame, mucho $$ for those.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.