Looking for a new DSLR

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Crazysah, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazysah

Crazysah Member

Hello guys,

So I'm selling off my video camera. All in all, I have about $600 to spend and that can be stretched a tiny bit but I'd prefer not.
    What is the best DSLR camera that I can get in it. I'm going to be buying it anytime up until June 7th in the United States.

Bring on the suggestions.

Crazysah

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

3. Crazysah

Crazysah Member

Budget

$600 but I'm willing to go slightly over if needed.

Size

Size really doesn't matter too me but should be easily carriable.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? - At least 12 MP

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) - Don't really care but would prefer Ultrazoom

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) - 7/8

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? - Not particularly.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? - Taking family photos on vacations and just photos outside.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? - Yes, sometimes.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? - Low light more than indoor photos.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? - Sometimes.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? - I don't like Kodak.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? - Sony, Canon or Nikon

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) - I would like a wide angle and rotation LCD but not top of the priority list.

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

For $600 you can pick up a good intro-level DSLR with a 3x kit lens. You can always buy a long zoom lens later.

The top DSLR's in your price range are the Sony SLT-A33, Nikon D3100, Canon Rebel T3 and the Pentax K-R. All are excellent. The Sony is not technically a DSLR because it doesn't use a mirror box and has an electronic viewfinder, though it is a DSLR for all practical purposes.

6. Crazysah

Crazysah Member

@Andy - Which off the four would you recommend as a good body?

7. Andy Stanton

All four are good but they are slightly different.

The Nikon D3100 probably has the best overall image quality. The Canon T3 is solid all around. The Pentax K-R has very pleasing images especially for those used to point and shoot cameras. The Sony A33 is smaller than the others, very quick and has many interesting features.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them but it would be a good idea to handle them because each has a different feel.

Here are some sample images:
    The World's Best Photos of nikon and d3100 - Flickr Hive Mind
    The World's Best Photos of eos and 1100d - Flickr Hive Mind
    The World's Best Photos of pentax and kr - Flickr Hive Mind
    The World's Best Photos of sony and slt and a33 - Flickr Hive Mind

8. Crazysah

Crazysah Member

Would they all last me like 2 years? Or would they be outdated quickly?
    Also, which can I get the best lenses for in the long run?

Any other suggestions?

9. Andy Stanton

DSLR's don't get outdated as quickly as point and shoots. It should last you at least 5 years, probably longer.

Most people use only two lenses - the 3x zoom kit lens and a moderately priced long zoom lens. But there are plenty of other lenses available for those who are perfectionists and have the money to spend. If you're searching for the "best" lenses, be prepared to spend big bucks.

10. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

If outdated means broke, they should all last a lot longer than 2 years. If outdated means incorporating all the cool, latest, features, they will all be outdated within 1 year. If outdated means no longer advanced enough for your desires, that's really up to your style. Some folks stick to basics, don't have a desire for frills. Some folks end up wanting better performance sooner than later.

For very specialized lenses, Canon and Nikon have the edge. The other brands do cover all the more popular lens types. In my view lens performance is more of an issue for full frame cameras than these crop bodies.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.