Looking for a way to streamline the orginizing my photos...

Discussion in 'Software' started by spookyu, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spookyu

spookyu Member

Recently I bought an Olympus E-500 and since then I've been having a lot of fun with it (GREAT camera). Anyway, I've started to acquire something of a name for myself between friends/family and beyond as being a very decent amateur photographer. So along with starting to collect hundreds of pictures that I need to figure out a way to organize I've been flooded with requests for people to send them pictures. I have like 60 gigs of web space that I have used in the past for misc. things, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestion for some sort of database management that I could couple with this to make myself a half decent repository for my photos. I don't want to just go for a static web page, that would be freaking insane to try and update that all the time, I'm looking for something where I can fire up my ftp server, create a new folder, throw those pics in, and be pretty much done. Someone suggested that I take a look at "Apache" or something, I have yet to do that and I will. I'm not sure if I made sense through this entire thing so if you need clarification on any area please let me know, I'm not 100% what I'm looking for in all honesty, I'll know what I see it though, haha.

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I'm not sure how technical you are and what the capabilities of your web host are, but you can probably do some Googling and find something. Your host may actually have something that could get you started.

I googled for "automated picture galleries upload server" and found a couple promising things. There is an ASP script here: http://www.bigwebmaster.com/1480.html that sounds exactly like you want to do. Here is a list of ASP scripts: http://www.bigwebmaster.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Programs/Image_Galleries/ and here is a list of PHP scripts: http://www.bigwebmaster.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Image_Galleries/

I found all of the above links from Google search results. BTW, Apache is web server software that will serve HTML pages. You definitely need to be running some sort of web server to show your images, but you're also going to need a script of other component to automatically create galleries of your images. You *can* just use Apache by itself, but it will only show a listing of image files (if the permissions are set up to allow that). I would imagine that you would like to find something that creates thumbnails and galleries of the images that you upload.

3. spookyu

spookyu Member

Thanks, I'm currently looking in to a database management service called Coppermine. The web space, in all actuality isn't mine, I'm sharing it with a friend (the domain is mine though), so he manages most of it and fixes things that I can't figure out or break. If none of these to my liking my last resort will probably be apache, as I would prefer to have thumbnails and the like. Thanks for the help, I'm going to breeze over these links you gave me and see if there are any other options currently.

Ohh, haha, as far as how technical I am, well I work at a computer repair store, but I'm not the go to guy when it comes to networking, servers, and the like.

4. spookyu

spookyu Member

Wow, Coppermine does EXACTLY what I was looking for, this thing work awesome. If anyone else needs something similar I recommend it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.