Looking for an action cam without fish eye

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by timmoser, May 16, 2015.

1. timmoser

timmoser New Member

Hi I have a Gopro and I love it, mostly. I don't like the fish eye. There are times with my family where we are right on top of one another skiing but when we watch the video it looks like we are far away from one another. I'd like a camera that has a lot of the qualities of the Gopro, like HD video, water proof and can be attached to a helmet and take abuse without the fish eye.I just want to see on video what we are seeing in person.

Is there anything like this in the market?

Thanks!

Hawk eye firefly likes this.
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. timmoser

timmoser New Member

Thanks Andy, I can flatten the image and maybe even a video but it will still have a "faraway" look. I'm not an expert so I really don't know how to ask the question. Here are to pictures one from my phone and one from the gopro. You can see the picture with my phone is much closer even though both were taken around 11 feet away. This is the same effect when taking video. I'd like a camera that can take the abuse an action cam is designed for and give me this more realistic view of the scene (video or pictures).

Gopro
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nmy7dumr06t6up/G0015291.JPG?dl=0

Phone
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/krwplfkbv69vaxm/IMG_0833.JPG?dl=0

Thanks!

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Based on the admittedly limited amount of research I've done it appears that the 170 degree ultra-wide angle view is standard for "action cams". Alternatively you can purchase a "rugged" waterproof point and shoot camera with good video like the Olympus, Fuji, Nikon, Panasonic or Ricoh. These do not come with an ultra-wide angle fisheye lens.

5. glenndm

glenndm New Member

Maybe, if you feel brave, you can replace the lens of the gopro with a flat lens - search on the internet mostly turns up the same 5.4 mm lens .
    Look for RC enthousiasts as they try to avoid the fish-eye effect.

I'm holding off on buying a next gopro (or any other actioncam for that matter) as long as factory-installed flat lenses are not available.
    I use my gopro on dirttrack racers, they are subject to severe shocks and vibration. I don't trust a refitted lens to stay put for long.

@Tim: Aside from the tiresome fisheye effect, there is indeed also a distance distortion present.
    When I chase a competitor close (real distance to cam +- 1 meter), it seems like much closer.
    If the distance to the next car is more than 2-3 meter, the result on video feels like the other car is much farther down the road.
    I've seen the effect on TV with motorcycle road races (man tt on bike & from heli)

A Gopro support person told me that they are looking at it, nothing concrete at the moment.

6. MaxWill

MaxWill New Member

In Drift Stealth 2 the fish eye effect is reduced more than in other cams. It was also a feature I took into consideration when I was choosing my camera.

7. glenndm

glenndm New Member

8. Hawk eye firefly

Hawk eye firefly New Member

Dear Timmoser,

yes, there're non distortion action camera in the market, Firefly 7S(non distortion version)
    you could check the Youtube below for more details: